Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 20, 2022
Hi all! I'm a pc enthusiast, built and fixed half a dozen towers over the years.
Really only have 1 problem I haven't been able to solve with my current build for which I will post my query.

MaggieTronic

Prominent
Jul 26, 2022
Hello, you brilliant, beautiful people you! I'm Maggie. I'm just your average 80's baby...been using Windows PC's most of my life, except for maybe gettin' down on some Word Munchers on the old Apple machines in gradeschool, etc. Had to take a course in B.A.S.I.C. back in high school, which, while fun, I doubt that counts for much these days.

I built my first (and current) rig in 2019...Reggie...he's been a good boy for the most part, a few issues here and there, but lately he's been particularly ornery, which is why I'm here. I've long turned to Tom's for troubleshooting tips in the past and am hoping some of you fine folks will have some idea as to what the **** is goin' on with mah baby :)

Off to find an appropriate thread!

Thanks in advance!

MaggieTronic

Prominent
Jul 26, 2022
Welcome, Maggie . . and your background sounds a bit like mine. BASIC is where I started, after all.

Side note: I have to ask, is your screen name a nod to the old WASP song "Mantronic"?

Lmao, no but after experiencing the glory that is that song for the first time (i think), I kinda wish it was XD
I'm actually a Megan, but "Maggie" has been part of my gaming persona since forever. Always wanted to be called "Maggie" growin up and never could get it to stick, so I started using it for gaming, etc. The "Tronic" part is more a nod to Megatron, leader of the Decepticons, (an old nickname given by my old general manager at work)...
So, mix 'n match and add an "ic" and "MaggieTronic" was born.

Reactions: King_V
hi there, i am new to the forum but i already recognise a few people off the forum PC Gamer, hi. :D

im a physicaly disabled, wheelie (wheelchair) using gamer, i also am severley classic autistic ,i live in adult care and communicate threw typing text or makaton or AAC.
PC gaming or gaming in any form has never been smooth for me as both my autism and my ID affect my ability to process visuals and information well, but i will chose a PC game over a console game any day as i love the fact you can adapt so much of the game to suit your wants/needs.
i started off in the late eighties-since the comodore64. and rather funnily the special school i went to let us play doom, canon fodder and other games seen as gory if we had shown a good behavior-keep in mind this was the raging era that led to parents (and jo frost- ever so slightly late,in the next centurey) doing a pitchfork waving karen over the extremely abstract 8 or 16 bit gore in mortal combat or doom.

i curently have a beasty windows 10 based gaming laptop and added bits and pieces like 32GB of dual channel kingston fury sodimm RAM and a western digital P50 external gaming SSD-1TB, a toshiba portege business end laptop with windows wiped and arch linux installed over the top, ive also got a rasberry pi zero w, a steam deck (512GB) and a nintendo switch with lots of estore and hard copy games.

my favurite PC games right now (many of which i cycle threw every day in the same order on the steam deck) are meadow, forza horizon 5, descenders, stray, final fantasy II, nIGHTS into dreams, project cars 2, r-type dimensions EX, skateBIRD, GRIP : combat racing (if any of you remember rollcage on the playstation 1,you will especialy love this-such a great racing game)

i enjoy making music using my studio software, i enjoy building websites, i also am a profesional mixed media artist in the intelectual disability field,my work sells and a chunk of it- some of it gaming based (i think) is currently in a museum exhibition in manchester right now though it finishes on 11th of september.

sorry i waffle a lot because of my epilepsy as it damaged my short term and workingg memory when i was very young.

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome WheelieGamer, from another whose early experience with computing heavily featured a Commodore 64!

(and, I had to fight the temptation to call you Wheels . . hopefully not offended by that?)

Welcome WheelieGamer, from another whose early experience with computing heavily featured a Commodore 64!

(and, I had to fight the temptation to call you Wheels . . hopefully not offended by that?)
hi King_V, wheels is fantastic-go right ahead! :D though i might go wheeling on aaron 'wheelz' fotheringhams toes with that one (if you like BMX,skating etc put 'WCMX' into youtube), aaron has retired now i think but my god there are some fearless freestyle wheelie users out there,and i happen to not be one of them lol.

what games do you remember from the C64 and did you have any favourites?
do you remember the terrible sound card it had? my dad typed in a huge pile of code as hes always been one of those 'one finger at a time' type people,took him about an hour and i think it was either supposed to be a repeated sound of gunshots or the sound of farting, either way it was a let down.

do you remember Zzap64 magazine that used to have game tapes on the front?
i remember my dad got it once for us and he woudnt let us play the viz one, sadly never managed to get hold of it as he threw it out.

ive actualy got a couple of c64 games on my tv stand , theyre text based games i think? ill have to get a picture tomorow and upload it as i cant see from here,some woman in a car boot sale gave us a bin bag full of C64 games years ago when she coudnt sell them, most of them worked.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Oooh, I had so much trouble with sound on the C64 - I didn't appreciate it because I was a kid who wanted to do simple video game sounds, and never learned all the musical intricacies of the SID chip.

There were a ton of greats for the C64, and, mea cupla, most were pirated, as I was a kid with no money who knew someone who could get cracked games.

Two of my all time favorites, though, are games I paid for:
  • Ultima V - still have the box, cloth map, coin, manuals, etc
  • Seven Cities of Gold
Ultima IV was one of my favorites as well, and what got me to go for Ultima V as soon as it came out (well, as soon as I could manage to pay for it after it came out).

I remember quite liking Three Stooges, Jumpman, and Jumpman Junior.

Oh, Pharaoh's Curse was another good one. Though, I was upset when, having moved to a Commodore 128, Pharaoh's Curse didn't work in the C128's 64-mode.

There were so many more, but my brain is balking at even remembering. They'll probably occur to me after I click Post Reply here, and probably later when I'm trying to fall asleep, etc. LOL

So so many great memories.

Sep 3, 2022
Hi, i'm new.
Just signed up cause I would need some tech support help for my laptop.
Can't post my topic, maybe cause I joined too recently

Sep 17, 2022
Hello everyone!
My name is mello_sky, and I am a programmer. I am not a gamer, therefore my hardware expertise is somewhat limited, and I am here for occasional advice on how to upgrade components.
I don't do much besides programming and exploring on Wikipedia.

Nov 15, 2022
Hello everyone! I suppose this is the right channel for introductions. :) I'm Luka and I've visited this pretty helpful community a few times but now I decided to join and ask a question. I got into music composition/audio production and built my first PC a couple of years ago. I do understand the basics but I still consider myself pretty new to hardware, since technology, standards and generations develops so fast that I can't really devote enough time to keep track of it (Questions like "since when did display port became standard", or "are there really so many USB 3.x Gen Y versions?!" :LOL:) But I do my best to research as much as possible before buying anything.

Dec 8, 2022
Hi, began using a computer at home when Mom purchased a Compaq Personal Computer from an electronics store and we brought it home. Best three thousand dollar purchase considering how much time I spent with the keyboard and mouse reading and learning with dial-up America Online and Netscape. In high school I enrolled in a Computer Programming course where we tried QBASIC and I discussed C/C++ with our teacher and traded him a Win32 Application Programmer Interface textbook I bought from Barnes & Noble for a graphics in Microsoft Disk Operating System older textbook. In college I enrolled in one more Advanced Computer Programming with C/C++ course although I ended up with a Biotechnology degree a newer major concentration/emphasis for upper division studies at the time following completion of my Associate of Arts degree requirements. I like nature and animals.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023
What's up everyone. Christian here. Was deep in the IT and custom PC world years ago but life pushed me away from it. I recently got back into it and have been modding the NZXT Phantom you see as my avatar. I joined here because I said goodbye to facebook and needed to go back to my roots of message boards lol.

Current specs are...
NZXT Phantom
Asus A246G
10" pi monitoring screen
AMD Ryzen 7 7700x
Asus ROG Strix B650E-F
2x16GB g.skill DDR5 6000
GTX 16660ti 6GB
2TB 980 pro
1TB PNY SSD
Corsair TX650 PSU
Noctua black CPU cooler

Feb 20, 2023
Hi,
Hello All Members,
I am Ranviv,
I am the new member for this community, I feel so glad for joining me.
Thanks.

JoyND73

Honorable
Dec 4, 2016
Joined years ago and haven't needed any help for a while as I usually manage to resolve an issue myself, but currently stick and so am back again to hopefully get some advice:)

May 29, 2023
Hi, guys! I'm Sam and I'm glad to be a part of the community and to help others to the best of my ability. I've gained a lot of info from this forum over the years but I've decided to join just now. I can be helpful with regards of Windows PSs, graphic cards and photo equiment. Nice to meet you all!

Reactions: King_V and Colif