went into to mobo after finishing my first build, didnt change anything and now windows 10 wont boot up. desperate for help.

Tyrantt47

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
TLDR: everything was working great and windows 10 booted up great. went into mobo as newegg suggested, didnt change anything, clicked save and exit, black screen. restart, nothing. change boot up to hdd, delete and format ssd, reinstalled windows 10 and got it working. downloaded GPU drivers, clicked reinstall, black screen again, but ssd is no longer a boot up option. got recovery to finally pop up, reset everything, no ssd still and instead of black screen, get a message that says "an operating system wasnt found. try disconnecting any drives that dont contain an operating system. pres ctrl alt del to restart." restart takes me to same message. 3 hours later and i have no idea what to do.

what happened:

So i finally finished putting my first build together and start up the pc. I installed windows 10 just fine and got it to work. Well i was watching the newegg how to build a computer and remembered that their part 2 involved bios. So I started doing what they were, which included restarting the pc and going into the mobo. all they did was just check to make sure that the sata was set to AHCI, which mine already was and they clicked save and exit. Since i didnt need to change anything, I clicked save and exit. And then it just went to a grayish/black screen.

Restarted the pc, saw the mobo logo, followed by the black screen. restarted again and same thing. restarted and went back into the mobo and looked at the boot up and it was showing that my ssd was bootup #1, followed by my hdd at #2. saved and exited and black screen. this went on about 10 more times and finally went back to mobo and looked around and changed the back panel led to a different color. this time, windows recovery popped up. clicked restart computer, black screen. did it again and made it so i would go back to the recovery, tried all other options, nothing.

This time, I changed the boot up #1 to the hhd. i deleted and format the ssd and then selected it to redownload windows 10 on. It worked! I then decided to download steam and Skyrim to check out how good the graphics are, but it said that it didnt see the graphics card and put the graphics on low settings. So i then downloaded the msi 1070 drivers and installed them. at the end of the installation, it said i needed to restart the computer before it takes effect. clicked the restart option annnnnnnd black screen again.

I went to see the boot up order and only the hdd was there. i clicked on it to select the ssd, but it wasnt there. tried about 10 different things, but all led to blank screens. finally got another recovery option to pop up, but this time i had different options. There was an option to just delete and reset everything. So i figured this would be the best idea to get a fresh start. after 10 mins of this, i was only at 2%, so i decided to go to bed since it was 2am and I spent over after 3 hours on this crap.
Now instead of a black screen, i just get the message: "an operating system wasnt found. try disconnecting any drives that dont contain an operating system. press ctrl alt del to restart. restarting takes me to the same message.

I have no idea how to proceed from here. is there a way that i can just wipe all hard drives clean and start over?

I have a Gigabyte z170 mobo

Elysian890

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016
You mentioned the SSD was gone, check its cables.
If you have USB flash drives plugged in, remove them.
Go back into the BIOS and restore it to its defaults, Save & Exit, then turn off the computer and start it again.

To wipe all of your HDDs & SSDs just boot the Windows DVD or USB, select custom or fresh install and in the drive selection windows delete all partitions and format drives, then install Windows to the SSD, that should do it.

Tyrantt47

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
so actually, i see the ssd in the list of sata's, but its just not giving me the option to select it at boot up.

im trying to figure out how to restore the gigabyte z170x back to defaults, but dont see the option anywhere. still researching how to do it.

Animus3D

Reputable
May 5, 2015

I have the same motherboard, and had this problem, too. I forget what I did to fix it exactly, but I do remember it being GPT format instead of MBR, which is what Windows needs to boot. Wish I could help more, sorry