Western Digital Announces New Consumer SSDs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelomixa

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Seems kinda pricey? Are you kidding me? Thats ridiculous, I mean serious who can afford a 256 GB drive that costs 1000 dollars?! No thank you.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]I don't believe the PCI -SSD is bootable, therefore it can not replace your Hard Drive but rather be a second storage device.[/citation]
They are bootable now, atleast according to the description on newegg.com. I also thought they werent bootable until I price checked it.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I checked NewEgg, and you can get the new (much better) Crucial C300 128M drive for $30 more than the WD. WD's drives are mediocre and way over priced.

I don't know why people will buy WD since OCZ, Corsair, Patriot and Crucial to name a few, have equally or better SSD with the same capacity and better pricing. Sometimes even $100 less than WD SSD.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Yay! kinda... I knew WD would get into SSD. I also knew they wouldn't do it before they were ready. (e.g. all those crappy jmicron based drives) I'm also disappointed with the prices though... I was hoping they'd actually bring performance ssd's to an affordable level

hok

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
like everyone i was waiting for a storage "market leader" to come with an SSD offering... with this garbage I ask WD why did you even try in the first place... this is crap. I'll stick with my overpriced Intel thanks...

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]...still waiting for SSDs to come down more in price[/citation]

refer to this.

[citation][nom]one-shot[/nom]WAAAHHHHHH WAAAAAAHHHHHH WHY CAN'T THEY BE CHEAPER.If it costs too much, don't buy it. It's simple. Whining about high prices on every SSD news post isn't going to change the prices.[/citation]

m-manla

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I love WD, but think the price should be dropped a little. You can get an OCZ Solid 2 SSD for under $190. They just need some time to get their foot in the door I believe.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I'm actually beginning to grow tired of the SSD news and updates as long as it's not even at a consumer price point. $1,000 for a 256Gb drive is not interesting to me.

[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]Price will never drop for SSD's until everyone stops buying at these ridiculous prices.[/citation]
Clearly you don't have a clue about economics.

G

Half that 64GB's price would be acceptable for a 48GB SSD.
$128 for 32-48GB seems good enough for netbooks and laptops to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.