Western digital service support

Wgramos

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
Hello, I own a one (1) terrabyte My Passport WD drive. Just recently desktop was hit by a malware. The drive was doing well before the incident. Now the computer can only see a generic drive ( no Volume Label) and cannot open the drive to access the files and folders inside. Tried using the windows explorer to access the file by unhiding command on the tool options but to no avail.

Is there a fix I can do to brig the drive back to normal condition? Would appreciate your expert help.

Best Regards,

Willie Ramos
wgramos@gmail.com

Wgramos

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

Thank you for responding to my email

With regards to the Malware, I did a scan with the AVAST anti virus software to rid the Desktop of the malware but then I realized that the malware has already done its job and after it was identified and removed, I could only see a drive installed at the E slot of my USB hub but the drive volume label is not shown anymore.

Tried the drive with a computer using Windows Vista and another using Windows 7 but both computer can't go beyond showing that an unknown drive is plugged in one of the USB slot.

Hope there is hope for this external drive of mine......wgramos

Could be an issue with the drive case or cable. Try a new USB cable first, if that fails, you'd need to open the case, take out the drive, and use that as a regular hard-drive to see if it's read by the computer. If it's in warranty you would want to check with the vendor first. Just make sure that they will not touch the drive as your data is on there.

Wgramos

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

Dear hang-the-9,

1) Cable is working fine. This drive has it's own proprietary cable.
2) I did not try doing anything with the case. As I said, the drive was working fine until the virus hit. I did not even try to get the name of the virus as I was already stressed with worry regarding my drive integrity.

wgramos