News Western Digital Unveils 20TB HDD with OptiNAND Technology

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I like the use of OptiNAND and ePMR , but when will 2.5" drives get updates? I can use large amounts of storage for professional work in a notebook for example. I haven't heard anything yet, not even rumors.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I like the use of OptiNAND and ePMR , but when will 2.5" drives get updates? I can use large amounts of storage for professional work in a notebook for example. I haven't heard anything yet, not even rumors.

8TB SSD too small or too expensive? Samsung QVO is only $700, 4TB drives under $400. Are a few 4TB 2.5" hard drives for under $200, but I'm sure they are thicker than average.

I think the market is covered really, those that want that compact of a storage are willing to pay more.

Mobile storage you also have large flash drives and external drive solutions to compete with.

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
For people that wonder:
"In 2008, the SDA specified Embedded SD, "leveraging well-known SD standards" to enable non-removable SD-style devices on printed circuit boards. However this standard was not adopted by the market while the MMC standard became the de facto standard for embedded systems. SanDisk provides such embedded memory components under the iNAND brand." Cred wiki

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Nice write up! See if you guys can get one of these for testing...be interesting to see! HDDs are still the only way to fly in terms of storage capacities, imo.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
8TB SSD too small or too expensive? Samsung QVO is only $700, 4TB drives under $400. Are a few 4TB 2.5" hard drives for under $200, but I'm sure they are thicker than average.

I think the market is covered really, those that want that compact of a storage are willing to pay more.

Mobile storage you also have large flash drives and external drive solutions to compete with.
Not everbody wants to pay that much $$$ for compact bulk storage.

There should be options for those who want 4 TB or more 2.5" HDD while being relatively small and compact.

And QLC's durability ain't that great compared to a HDD if you're not going to use it in a "Rough & Tumble" environment.

There's a time and place for everything, but there should be a option for us who want small 2.5" HDD's.

And SSD's really need to shrink down to 1.8" Drive Format, 2.5" is too bulky for a modern day SSD.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They have, called M.2. Just need to have a system with the appropriate slot.

There are a few 4TB 2.5" drives. But that is pushing limits of density and they clearly don't sell well enough to justify many models. Decent bargain, but I would rather have the performance of 3.5" drive.

You are basically saying you want the best hard drive technology cheap. That isn't how 'the best' usually works. You pay a premium for density. That isn't going to change. Most people can get away with 1-2TB, and that has been standard for a long while now. 500GB SSD is pretty standard on systems that don't have 2.5" bays, 1TB will probably take over in the next year or so.

I would trust an SSD over a mechanical drive any day in a mobile device. If you are using a drive for bulk storage, write endurance shouldn't be too huge a concern. If you are continuously using a drive, there are better external options.