Western Digital WD20EARS 2TB only recognised as 1 TB in BIOS

stanza

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Hi all,

First post here.

I have a Windows XP SP3 desktop machine.
I have recently purchased a Western Digital WD20EARS 2 TB SATA hard drive a few months ago. I connected it through one of the SATA cables and everything was working fine.
One day, the hard drive failed and windows was not able to detect it in My Computer. In the Disk Manager it said '931GB Unallocated'

In order to recover my data I then proceeded to remove it from my system, fit it into an enclose and then connect it via USB to my new ASUS laptop running Windows 7. When I plugged it in it said that I needed to format the drive.
I used a software called Recovery Pro to retrieve all data on my drive. Fortunately I was able to recover all my data and save it to one of the drives on my laptop. Apparently my partition table was screwed.

After that was done I then connected it back to my desktop and now my BIOS only detects that drive as I TB. Have a look at the screens below:

27zyj61.jpg

27zx1rk.jpg

In Disk Manager when I tried to format it only recognises it as 1 TB. So I decided to go ahead and format it as NTFS. Right now I have a newly formatted drive with only 1 TB.

2929mxc.jpg

I have no idea why this happened. When I first started off the system was able to detect it as a 2 TB drive. It seems like after my hard drive crash a TB of space has gone AWOL. Is this something I need to Western Digital about getting a replacement since this drive is under warranty?

I have a look around the wen and I found this post:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/255691-32-bought-drive-bios-detect

Looks like I'm not alone ?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Stanley

If this happened to me I think what I'd probably do is to download and burn a Ubuntu LiveCD, boot from it and use it to have a look at the disk partition table. I'd trust that to give me a true picture of the disk a lot more than the Windows Disk Management utility (and I say that as a long-time satisfied Windows user).

+1. You could also try and use UBCD or Hirens.