What’s The Deal With These VR Backpacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1353997

It would be cool if these backpacks could blow cool air on the user's back. It's true that carrying a backpack alone can make you sweat, especially in summer.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I still don't see the advantage of this over say, getting a small SFX case like a Silverstone Milo, and slapping it on your ceiling.

This way the cable for your VR headset just needs to hang down which should give pretty good freedom of movement; if you can have something in place to make sure the cable sticks out behind you you shouldn't have much risk of getting entangled.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

use spring cables for this ... will expand when you are away from the center .. and will never touch the ground

rayden54

Honorable
May 14, 2013

What kind of ceiling do you have that this would be viable?

mosc

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
not good for health . heat + radiation/waves for a long time near your internal organs.
You seem to have rather oddly forgotten about the 3.828×10^26 Watt thermonuclear bomb going off continuously in the sky during the "day". True it is 5.890x 10^12 inches from you but at an intensity that falls off by the square of distance I don't think you should be worrying about heat and radiation from a <1kw backpack.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

... even smartphones can hurt your health if you abuse using them . I dont trust putting a pc running full speed for hours near my heart , brain , and kidney ... no matter what they tell me about how safe it is.

my vr machine will be up there on the ceiling ... (soon)

mosc

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2009-12-03-cell-phones_N.htm

http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/cellphonebra.asp

I can only try to point you in the right direction. You're going to have to open your own mind. There is no link between cell phones and cancer. Aspratame doesn't give you cancer either. JFK was shot by Oswald and we landed on the actual moon.

Radio Frequencies are emitted from lots of things. The biggest source nearby is the thermonuclear reaction converting hydrogen to helium at the center of our solar system we call the sun. The intensity of radio emissions is measured by their frequency. Lower frequencies contain low intensity radiation that interacts less with matter. Radio frequencies are the lowest frequencies on the spectrum. Cell phones sit at the high end of this chunk of the spectrum in what we typically call UHF. Typically to even perceive radio waves you need a sizeable bit of conducting material tuned to that frequency (a large antenna) which will induce a small electric current. Microwaves are next, used for some wireless traffic. Microwaves have limited interaction with matter. Microwave ovens function because many of the materials in our food do not absorb microwaves particularly well so we can cook food from the inside (water absorbs microwaves). Your skin is an extremely effective barrier against microwave radiation. Next up is infrared which we typically just call heat. It's more intense than what your cell phone puts out and is absorbed by most things... making them warmer. Humans are pretty good at perceiving large doses of infrared heat. They get hot. Next up is visible light. The sun puts out literally a blinding amount of it 24/7. Your cell phone puts out none. Next up is ultraviolet which can be very dangerous. It is absorbed by the skin and can give you skin cancer. It will not give you brain cancer or cause internal organ damage. Wear sunscreen! Your cell phone does not produce anything resembling these frequencies. Next is X-rays. The sun kicks out a tremendous amount of these but fortunately we're screened from most of it by the earth's magnetic field. The body has very little defense against x-rays and even in small doses are extremely dangerous. They have medical use because they are absorbed by our bones much more easily than our soft tissue but this is done in carefully measured and short bursts to avoid killing us. The cell phone cannot emit x-rays. If it emitted even a TINY bit of x-rays, we'd know very quick. They do not.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

I understand this . but from experience , when I talk using the smart phone for like an hour , all my ear and its surrounding turns red , hot , and this means it widens the blood vessels for some reason .

some people have headaches as well for long use of phone on their ears.

What you fail to understand that science has not discovered even 10% of the human body and its reactions to new technologies , but the Human Body ha a warning System called "Pain" and feeling "annoyed" ... when such Alarms trigger then there is something wrong and we did not discover it yet.

I feel safe ONLY when there is no PAIN and no ALARM !

mosc

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Cell phones get hot. They give off infrared EMR called heat by most. The molecules in the phone move around a little bit more than they do when it's off due to the electric resistance in the phones circuitry bleeding off power as electric current flows through them. The average velocity of molecules is what we refer to as temperature. Cell phones don't have fans. Your head also kicks out heat. If you put something up to your head, particularly something hot, for an hour your ear will get red, sweaty, and irritated.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

sorry this effect is known for cool phones as well , from the old times of cold non smart phones ... has nothing to do with the phone getting hot . is from the waves.

mosc

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
no it's not. You can also heat the side of your head with a piece of plastic. The heat is coming from your head, not escaping the air but instead getting trapped on your non-venting skin. I suggest trying it with the phone OFF for a half hour attached to your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.