Question What’s your experience with Huntkey PSUs? How safe I am if there was no overclocking, way above the wattage PC requires

Jul 30, 2019
I have one on my Lenovo OEM, that’s been fine for 7 years. But
I am on the verge of buying this PSU from my friend (Huntkey GS500) and I read and seen many videos of Huntkey PSUs exploding after 1 minuet of full wattage. It’s peak is 500W. it says it’s 80+ and after calculating the PC wattage I have, it’s 320W-380W at peak so it’s below the 80% of the 500W. Am I safe here? I don’t want to overclock, or anything it’s just for a couple of old games for a little brother and for studying (browsing and normal usage). No hardcore gaming, no designing or anything stressful.

What stresses a PSU?

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019
While drawing less power would improve the odds, I still would recommend against that unit.
Why trust something thats known to explode, just using slightly different circumstances and hoping for the best.
I mean I totally agree with you. But bad CM PSUs (considered the cheapest “known/famous” brand) sold here here, costs 20-30% more than Amazon, and If I bought it from Amazon I’d still have to pay those 20-30% for customs which is more than 60$ for the same wattage.
This one is about 27$ which is considered a good deal price wise.

Huntkey makes a wide range of products. From cheap to high end.

The GS500 is "lower middle". And remember that even though it's called "GS500", it's only a 400W PSU.

Where is "here" (Budapest, China, Egypt)?

What's your "whole story"? Why are you trying to upgrade your Lenovo PSU?

Jul 30, 2019
Huntkey makes a wide range of products. From cheap to high end.

The GS500 is "lower middle". And remember that even though it's called "GS500", it's only a 400W PSU.

Where is "here" (Budapest, China, Egypt)?

What's your "whole story"? Why are you trying to upgrade your Lenovo PSU?
ME, Jordan.

The story is that I have a GPU (GIGABYTE GTX 460OC) I bought a year ago from ebay, that’s setting in my closet because I didn’t know it needed a good PSU, just plug and play. So now it’s summer holiday and my little brother likes to play some video games. The prebuilt lenovo is as you know an office build, nothing more (just a relatively good CPU). So He reminds me of that unused GPU to put for him so he can play some newer things (nothing heavier than GTA V). So I started searching for PSUs. Nothing cheap and reliable I could find. Then a friend offered this item because he’s getting a new rig. I thought I should ask and search before wasting a couple of bucks. The thing is, If I had any bad experiences with the (Huntkey PSU) on the OEM I own, I wouldn’t even think of getting the same brand. But it’s 7 years with relatively heavy load, couple electric faults, weeks never turned off, trying heavy games for the sake of benchmarking and it’s working flawlessly.

Edit:
Note: the PSU has 360w on the 12v rail, the GPU’s TDP* 160w, and the CPU’s one is 55w. That’s why I think it should be fine.

*I know that TDP has nothing to do with consumption. But it’s a good way to measure, and it used the same unit (watt).

Last edited: