Question What 32gb DDR4 16gb single stick ram interfaces well with Asus ROG Max XI Hero motherboard

docbooth

Reputable
Dec 5, 2018
When running certain genealogy, spread sheet & photo programs simultaneously I plan to over clock mildly. My build in the planning is- i7-9700K or i9-9900K whichever I can get my hands on. Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi), Asus GeForce GTX 1070 or the over clock version (price talks). Down the road if needed I will throw another one in. 500 gb SSD PCIE (model not yet decided). Arctic Freezer 33 to be changed to a Noctua NH-D15 when needed. (Currently not interested in water works.) ATX case GROne by Inwin so I have plenty of room. I am looking for longevity and continuity in a solid build. I WANT my 3200MHz DDR4 in 16gb sticks so that I can run it up to 64 if desired but yet I want to see how it runs on 16gb, then 32gb and last 64gb. The ram also NEEDS to be RGB. Different color combinations suppress the dyslexia of my two children. I like Patriot but have not found 16gb sticks from them and they have not answered an email request. My first question is: Which 16gb DDR4 sticks operate up to their maximum, stay cool and are of solid high quality that have integrated RGB and interface well with the ROG XI Hero. My second question from a wild hair after seeing an ad in Newegg; Does the Xeon E3-1275 V6 have any benefits over the i7 or i9 on this build. This unit will often run days at a time if not weeks and is a part time PLEX server. The current pc is rebooted every other day to every three days. For the response I am looking for I can schedule a 12:00 midnight reboot if needed. A middle to upper SSD recomendation would also be appreciated.
I apologize for any newbie mistakes and in the same breath state that the main operator has burned up multiple desk top pc's compared to game machines that continue to run. Historically this tells me to go hard core and build another game machine. The three new software packages are intense memory and cpu hogs, more than their predecessors. My defense statement in advance: Please do not tell me I do not need this much power. Tell that to the stack of burned up computers over the last 35 years. Most had more power delivered to cooling the pc than running the pc.
Another thanks to Vic 40 for his previous advice.

Last edited:
Buy the ram you think you need all in one kit.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.
A single 16gb stick would be running in slower single channel mode.
There is no guarantee that adding a second stick later would work.
I might suggest buying a 2 x 8gb kit up front.
Later, if you think you need 32gb, but a 2 x 16gb kit similar to what the initial kit specs.
If the new plays well with the old, great, you have 48gb.

The i7-9700K and the i9-9900k are hot processors and can turbo up to 5.0.
Really, you need a better cooler than a ac33.
With a build of this budget, go ahead and buy your NH-D15 and don't look back.
If you want compatibility with fancy ram heat spreaders, the NH-D15s is a better high compatibility version.

Dual gpu shows well with synthetic FPS benchmarks. But gameplay will be batter with a single good card.
When the time comes that a GTX1070 no longer does the job, plan on replacing it with a single stronger card.

The Xeon E3-1275 is not a supported processor on your motherboard.
Past that, the Xeon is less than half as capable as the 9900K.

As to up time, that is your call.
If your software is sound, you have little need to reboot.
Looking at my task manager, I last rebooted some 25 days ago.
I use sleep to ram when I am done for the day.

docbooth

Reputable
Dec 5, 2018
Thanks geofelt. Good to know where the Xeon compares. Now I can dismiss the wild hair before it turns into another gray in-grown festering hair. The Arctic 33 is for another build and is sitting on the empty GROne case in it's box and will only be used for the first 2 to 3 months with an eye on the temps. This is a budget build, time budget not so much money budget. I am looking at as late as 8 months till finish. I do plan on getting the ram in 32gb double stick kits for the reasons you mentioned. I want the ram capacitance and switching birthdays as close to identical twins as possible and hope that on the 2nd kit if needed, I will hit the lottery and get the pair's matching pair. The NH-D15s is an option I did not notice. The ram will be the determining factor, thanks for the option I missed. Interesting point on the dual gpu's. As this pc will never (while I own it) see a game more than Win7 MS Hearts, Chess etc in Win10. I am not concerned about a better game. Your point makes me wonder if my software would respond similar or lean heavier on the cpu and ram for the multifaceted direction needing the 2nd gpu. A plus for the 2nd gpu is the dividing of the numerous monitors but it will also raise the heat factor. Good if I lived in the high mountains of Arizona but I in live in Phoenix metro. I should be able to load the pc up with my software and run tests to verify the bottleneck, then choose to upgrade the 2nd machine with the old card and get the super modified DOUBLE XXS 2080xyZ for this machine. Historically with this software's earlier versions neither will happen, we shall see. I think you may have nailed the reboot on the head with it being my software, they ARE a pain. Thanks for the answers. Still looking for Rog Max XI Hero DDR4 supreme compatibility. I realize this build idea is one step above boring. Due to the massive venture into genealogy by the world, I plan on proving again, "A good game machine is a good genealogy machine." Just a note for those that would suggest the other board makers. I contacted all of the main ones (except MSI, yes it is personal) and only Asus returned with information, chat and a phone call. Then I compared board stats and reviews then looked at mass, weight and proportion, that is why my board plan is Asus. ASRock lead the rest at a distant 2nd for my specs.

Last edited: