[SOLVED] What 8x32GB RAM for AMD 3990x?

andreasoberg

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Hiya,
I struggle finding out what RAM I should buy for the 3990x.
The G-Skill CL16 8x32GB 3600MHz seems to be the best, but does not seem to be for sale anywhere.
Corsair has one 3200 CL16 here
Corsair also has a 3600Mhz but it is CL18 which sounds high here
Which would actually be the fastest of these two?
The good thing with these memories is that I can actually buy them currently.

I use the RAM for VFX (for games!) so not so much for gaming.

I was considering using either this motherboard
  • Asus AMD Threadripper ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha TRX40 or
  • Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme
and the cooler
- Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3

Any issues with having them fit? Any thoughts? I could imagine overclocking but usually not so much, it has to be rock solid.
Thanks!

Solution
Scan should have a whole load of other rams, perhaps the pandemic has stemmed the number of brands available to you. Nowadays the cooler doesn't interfere with the rams. Also, I'd ask you to look into an AIO...at the very least for cooling. Aesthetically it's good and it's less weight on the CPU socket when in the upright position.

Lutfij

Titan
I'd pick higher frequency rams if your budget allows but DDR4-3600MHz would be where I'd draw the line and not go lower or higher. Speaking of which what is your preferred site for purchase and what is your budget? I'm assuming you're located in the U.S.A(and not someone who is sourcing parts from overseas).

andreasoberg

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Hiya, thanks for the info.
I think the Corsair Vengence LPX 3600MHz 18-22-22-42 is probably what I would go with since G-Skill cannot be bought currently. I'm based in UK so normally by from Scan (or other sites). I also like that the rams are low profile since I was planning on using the Noctua NH-U14S SP3 which risks hitting the RAM.

Lutfij

Titan
Scan should have a whole load of other rams, perhaps the pandemic has stemmed the number of brands available to you. Nowadays the cooler doesn't interfere with the rams. Also, I'd ask you to look into an AIO...at the very least for cooling. Aesthetically it's good and it's less weight on the CPU socket when in the upright position.

Solution