Question What am I missing???

Thermaler

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
I set every setting I can find but it seems Microsoft does not care about what I WANT TO DO WITH MY COMPUTER!

2 Win 7 machines using a DZ68BC MB, I5 2500 CPU and Seagate HD
I5A - 32mb ram
I5B - 16mb ram

Both machines have these irritants . . .

Power settings - Never turn anything off, monitor still powers down.
Updates - My choice, download but let me decide. Reboot and guess what I have to wait for? Updates to install.

I seem to be missing something, if it Microsoft's choice to ignore my settings shouldn't they be buying the next computer I use? ;>)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Unless your monitor is hardwired directly to MoBo and PSU, like laptops do, there is no way on earth how Win or any OS in that matter can tell when your monitor shuts down. Modern monitors have built-in power saving feature where they turn off and go to sleep mode once the signal to the monitor has been lost for about 3 seconds or so.

And for Win 7 updates, use the same settings as i do, since with it, i have absolute control when, which and what updates i want or don't want,
image:
m3DcPai.png

Reactions: PC Tailor

Thermaler

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
Thank you for the response Aeacus. . .

Being Asus monitors I went through the settings, nothing there.
Went to the web site checked the specific models and nothing there either.

I am seeing correctly? You have disabled Updates?
Recent security holes tell me not a good idea but that is mute as it does not answer my question.
Why are Updates installed on a reboot when the setting is "LET ME CHOOSE"?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You already did choose. If you read Microsoft Windows EULA, it specifically states that Microsoft has the right to automatically update its software if it feels the situation is warranted, and it has the option to inform you of the update or not. You have already agreed to that policy. That means at a minimum security updates will be automatic, no matter what you want for your pc.

Microsoft is giving you your cake. Complete with icing and filling, in a flavor of its choosing. You are going to receive the full slice. Whether you choose to eat it afterwards is up to you, you can uninstall most updates, but you will not stop Microsoft from giving you the full slice. You don't get that option after having agreed to take everything Microsoft gives you.

Thermaler

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
Thank You Karadjgne for the response and for taking the time to do what I should not to mention the effort to enlighten me.
Gees, it is bad enough big brother government is doing as it pleases but so is my computer software!! ;>)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Some of it sorta kinda has to. You gotta figure that Microsoft is trying (sometimes unsuccessfully) to stay at least 1 step ahead of some serious whack ppl. You know, the kind of ppl who wrote Spectre and Meltdown etc. If they didn't actively try and plug those holes, you'd have an epidemic. If you figure that you aren't alone in wanting control of updates, there's many out there like you, wouldn't take long before all of you get hit with something nasty, and then you turn around and sue Microsoft cuz some unscrupulous genius got all your personal bank info and cleaned you out.

So Microsoft will plug any hole or leak it finds and will update / change its software whether you want it to or not, covers your butt. And theirs.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I am seeing correctly? You have disabled Updates?
Yes i have. For average user, that may seem a bad idea but for a knowledgeable user who values his privacy, it's a good idea.
Like i said above, i can update my Win 7 at the time of my choosing and not when Micro$oft deems it to happen. No such luxury with Win 10 though.

Gees, it is bad enough big brother government is doing as it pleases but so is my computer software!! ;>)
If you don't want the parent of the OS to poke around in your PC and tell you what and when to do, use any GNU/Linux distro instead of Win. With Win, you have to accept Micro$oft intrusions, especially when you use Win 10, which is a service and not a full product (like Win 7 is).

TRENDING THREADS