[SOLVED] What are important computer maintenance steps folks can do at home?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SHaines

Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 1, 2019
With so many of us stuck at home and potentially using our home computers to work at home full time, systems are being put through more stress than normal.

What are some suggestions you have for folks who may need some help cleaning, or doing some routine maintenance, on their computers?

Pretty much any tricks to keep things running smoothly are appreciated. If you can arrange them in a numbered list of steps to take, that'll make it even easier for folks at home to squeeze the most performance out of their machines.

Thanks in advance!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm still running an Optiplex 380 -X5470 Xeon swap with 8GB DDR3 RAM and a GTX1060 3GB with the PSU, fan swap, and cooler mentioned above. I paid $20 for it with a Win 7 license. The rest of it I had sitting around.
Again, thanks for the info.

I hope you can graduate to Sandybridge overclocking, soon. Or maybe delid an Ivy Bridge and use direct-die cooling. Ivy Bridge are supposed to be good, once you get past the rubbish TIM under the IHS.

Cheers!
: )

The X58 Dell T3500 is a popular overclocking project with the unlocked Xeons W3680 and 3 channel DDR3. That's replaced the old BTX stuff for cheap systems, and the Sandy Bridge HP Z420 workstation can be overclocked with Intel XTU and the unlocked Xeons in that series. The Dell Sandy Bridge T3610 workstations are a little tricky with their proprietary PSU setup, but can be done also.
Here's the Throttlestop Overclocking thread if you want to see where things are currently.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...cking-desktop-pcs.235975/page-35#post-4221294

Reactions: bit_user