Question what are my upgrade or a new PC options?

ilyam1

Distinguished
May 1, 2015
Hey all,

I have an old PC, which works well but it's been almost 9 years and soon i might need a new one because of work related. i use my PC now as gaming mainly.

I don't need the best PC but a one that can handle a load and that i can play.

right now i have my monitor on max resolution of 1080p with 144 hz refrash rate.

Thank you in advance.

my PC is:

Intel core i7-4790k 1150LGA

Gigabyte Z97X- Gaming 5

DDR3 16GB G.SKILL (each 8 GB)

MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB

USAFRet

Titan
thank you for the replay but what about a new PC?
Should i go for AMD or INTEL, if i can afford it?
Avoid AliExpress.

Start here:

With your current 4790k, you're looking at a whole new system.

USAFRet

Titan
sorry for the late response.
if it's a new system, should i go for AMD or INTEL?
Both have advantages.

Start here, post in the Systems Forum:

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
Hey all,

I have an old PC, which works well but it's been almost 9 years and soon i might need a new one because of work related. i use my PC now as gaming mainly.

I don't need the best PC but a one that can handle a load and that i can play.

right now i have my monitor on max resolution of 1080p with 144 hz refrash rate.

Thank you in advance.

my PC is:

Intel core i7-4790k 1150LGA

Gigabyte Z97X- Gaming 5

DDR3 16GB G.SKILL (each 8 GB)

MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB

I would suggest if you are gaming at 1080p, you will probably want to look at a i5- 12400 and a B660 mobo and a 6600XT should work well together. Not super high end but relatively recent and you have an upgrade path to Raptor Lake should you want it in the future.

If you opt for the rx 6600, here’s one only 5 bucks more from a known brand and retailer.

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeon-rx-6600-rx6600-cld-8g/p/N82E16814930066

As far as amd vs Intel, raptor lake is good. Intel will be a good option if you want to set it and not worry for about 3 years. AM5 has a leg up in the area of upgrades though. AMD promised am5 support until 2025, they could go beyond possibly. With am4 they started in about 2017, and supported it until this year. So 3 generations of cpus on one board, though it took a while for older boards. But if they do the same this time around you may be able to drop a zen 6 for example into a board you buy today. For example I’ve got a b350 board from 2017/18 but installed a 5800x this year and I’m probably fine for another year or two unless I wanted to upgrade the entire platform. But if nothing else, I’m planning get a faster gpu soon and this platform should still let me buy time to save up for a faster cpu/board/ram combo.

Basically performance on raptor lake and zen 4 is comparable with a nod going to Intel slightly I think. However LGA 1700 is a dead end platform, meaning no new cpus for it after 13th gen. So if amd holds true, am5 should have more longevity and allow more upgrades.

There is no good upgrade for your pc,
You are looking to go from 4th gen to 12/13 gen.
Do you have a budget?

Graphics upgrade will help fast action gaming.
CPU upgrade helps everything and I would do that first.
For most games, the single thread performance is what matters most.
Run the cpu-Z bench on your I7-4790K and look at the single thread rating.
You should get a number like 469:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/xb7lml
There are many options in the $200 range.
Both from Intel and AMD. Since you are familiar with Intel, I would stick with that. Ryzen environment has a learning curve.

$177 I5-12400 is a good pick:
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i5-12400f-core-i5-12th-gen/p/N82E16819118358
Here is a review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i5-12400-review

Unless your need is urgent, I would wait a month of so for the basic 13th gen non K processors to launch.
13th gen ipc will be some 15% better.
You will need a lga1700 motherboard.
B660 MATX DDR4 units are in the $100-$150 range.
I suggest DDR4 and not DDR5. Both perform similarly but DDR4 is cheaper. Speed is not important to Intel.
Unless you are heavily multitasking 16gb is ok.
Ram is relatively cheap so many opt for 32gb.

Initially, reuse your GTX970.
See how you do.

Later you can easily change out the graphics card and perhaps the needed psu also.

What is the make/model of your case and psu?
Likely you can reuse them.