Question What are some ways i can lower my cpu tempatures?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 6, 2019
I have an AMD FX 8120 8 core processor that works pretty good. My issue is when i try to play games like fortnite my pc will load it up then just shut off, I expect this happens when my cpu temps go too high im not too sure. On the website Can i run it, it says i have more than enough power to play fortnite so now i dont know what to do. Im using a stock cooler and just recently re applied thermal paste. I also have one extra fan on the side of the case.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Im down to buy a new pc entirely but like i said ill need time to save that money so Im asking is this pc gonna die SOON? The Pc only wigs out in games like fortnite the rest is perfectly fine (to me).

This kind of thing is unknowable. Given that you are having issues at load, again, I'd be underclocking your CPU if you need it to last awhile. 125W CPUs have a tendency to burn out budget AM3+ motherboards, so your best bet is running it in a less stressful manner.

Oct 6, 2019
This kind of thing is unknowable. Given that you are having issues at load, again, I'd be underclocking your CPU if you need it to last awhile. 125W CPUs have a tendency to burn out budget AM3+ motherboards, so your best bet is running it in a less stressful manner.
Ive turned down my cpus max down to 50% will this help prolong any issues?

Did you check to see if the heatsink on your CPU cooler was plugged with dust and dirt, as was suggested? Did you check to see that all fans are running normally, and are changing speed based on temperature, IF they did that before?

Airflow through the case is probably as big a consideration as good CPU cooling.

What do you mean "turned down my cpus max to 50%"?

HOW did you do that? Where did you do that? Did you do that by changing the CPU multiplier or reducing voltage? Did you do it in the BIOS or in Windows?

Oct 6, 2019
Did you check to see if the heatsink on your CPU cooler was plugged with dust and dirt, as was suggested? Did you check to see that all fans are running normally, and are changing speed based on temperature, IF they did that before?

Airflow through the case is probably as big a consideration as good CPU cooling.

What do you mean "turned down my cpus max to 50%"?

HOW did you do that? Where did you do that? Did you do that by changing the CPU multiplier or reducing voltage? Did you do it in the BIOS or in Windows?
I did it through windows ig I went to Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, under power options i clicked change power saving settings, i went to change plan settings , then advanced power settings. then i went to processor power management and put my max at 50%

Well, that's not exactly the method I'd probably recommend.

The first thing you need to do is take a look at your heatsink to see if it is full of dust. If it is, clean it out. If it's not, then great, one less thing to worry about. If for some reason this is something you are incapable of doing, then all of this is a waste of time and you should get somebody involved that has experience with computers that can handle what needs to be done.