What are the "BALANCED" GPU/CPU pairs?

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Good afternoon, All.

Now that GPU pricing is beginning to approach rational levels, many folks are going to upgrade their GPUs.

That means we will see a big increase in "Bottlenecking" questions....and I hate those questions since every system has a bottleneck.

One approach to helping folks decide which GPU to buy or if it is time to build a new system would be to build a list of 'balanced' GPU/CPU pairs.

My definition of "balanced": for a given CPU, which GPU will result in about the same utilization percentage. That set a pairs should help folk select a GPU which will not be "Bottlenecked" by their CPU and vice versa.

I believe that a GPU/CPU pair which is balanced at 1080p may not be balanced at 1440p or 2k or 4k....etc.

I don't have enough knowledge to contribute much more than the question since I am still running an I5-4690k with a 1060 6GB. I believe this to be balanced for 1080p.

SO:

Anyone care to contribute a balanced pair? Please identify the resolution for which you believe it to be balanced.

Your comments and contributions will be welcomed!

TIA,
Larry

Solution
Currently running a i7-4770K stock with a 1080 ti and I think it's balanced at 2560x1080P/75hz. Now initially I didn't buy the card just for a lower res ultrawide but also for VR but TBH it games great on it and at no point has the CPU held the performance on the GPU in any of the games I play. I also have a 4K/60hz HDR TV which performs great as well without issues so I'd suspect that 1440P/60 or 144hz would game good as well.

The games/software can have a good impact on your hardware as well, MMORPG's typically make use of multiple strong CPU cores instead of the GPU while games such as AC: Origins rely much on the GPU performance. This also goes with higher resolutions as the load will usually go from the CPU to the GPU.

WildCard999

Titan
Currently running a i7-4770K stock with a 1080 ti and I think it's balanced at 2560x1080P/75hz. Now initially I didn't buy the card just for a lower res ultrawide but also for VR but TBH it games great on it and at no point has the CPU held the performance on the GPU in any of the games I play. I also have a 4K/60hz HDR TV which performs great as well without issues so I'd suspect that 1440P/60 or 144hz would game good as well.

The games/software can have a good impact on your hardware as well, MMORPG's typically make use of multiple strong CPU cores instead of the GPU while games such as AC: Origins rely much on the GPU performance. This also goes with higher resolutions as the load will usually go from the CPU to the GPU.

Solution