What are the chances of destroying electronics with static? And...

testtube5

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2013
I live in NJ. I can't remember the last time I touched anything metal and got the little "finger shock" from it so I don't think my area generates a lot of static electricity.

What are the chances of destroying an electronic with static discharge?

Have you ever destroyed one yourself in that manner?

Also, which parts are the most susceptible to being destroyed in this manner? (I would think Motherboard is most common, but what else?)

I do know that it can happen to virtually any piece, but some parts have to be more susceptible than others (such as RAM I would assume).

Solution
Yes they are most vulnerable to static because of most dense transistors in them that also work with much lower signal voltages. Older ones were built like tanks comparing to new ones. They do have over voltage and over heat protection which makes them durable in working conditions but out of socket is another story.
It's one of first things any budding electronic and computer service tech is told, don't touch any bare contacts if any chance of static is present.

testtube5

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2013
Really? I was under the impression they were the least vulnerable part lol.

I'm thinking back to when I was a kid with N64 games. No one ever told me not to touch the connector (the part you blow in if it doesn't work =p)

Is that the same thing or?

Yes they are most vulnerable to static because of most dense transistors in them that also work with much lower signal voltages. Older ones were built like tanks comparing to new ones. They do have over voltage and over heat protection which makes them durable in working conditions but out of socket is another story.
It's one of first things any budding electronic and computer service tech is told, don't touch any bare contacts if any chance of static is present.

Solution