Question What are the chances of the psu damaging your other components?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh alright. Never knew there was many ways why a psu would fail. Thanks!

Well... think of it this way... What does the PSU do? It converts AC input to multiple DC output.

So inside, you have parts on the AC side, and parts on the DC side.

If it fails on the AC side, it's very unlikely there's any damage beyond the PSU "blowing up". If the failure is on the secondary, it can cause damage for many reasons.

Protections have improved a lot over the years, but not all PSUs are created equal. I remember about 20 years ago or so, MSI boards were the worse. Their VRMs would heat up and sometimes even burst into flames. The CPU would fry AND THE PSU! The PSU would actually turn into a motherboard killer. If I had an MSI board that caught fire on the bench and then went on to test another motherboard with the same PSU, that PSU would then kill that motherboard. I would have to scrap the PSU and get a new one. Wish I knew then what I know now I would open the PSU up and figure out WHY the PSU all the sudden turned into a killer... but damn those MSI boards were horrible. Lost so many good Athlons back then.

Reactions: Nonkii

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Well... think of it this way... What does the PSU do? It converts AC input to multiple DC output.

So inside, you have parts on the AC side, and parts on the DC side.

If it fails on the AC side, it's very unlikely there's any damage beyond the PSU "blowing up". If the failure is on the secondary, it can cause damage for many reasons.

Protections have improved a lot over the years, but not all PSUs are created equal. I remember about 20 years ago or so, MSI boards were the worse. Their VRMs would heat up and sometimes even burst into flames. The CPU would fry AND THE PSU! The PSU would actually turn into a motherboard killer. If I had an MSI board that caught fire on the bench and then went on to test another motherboard with the same PSU, that PSU would then kill that motherboard. I would have to scrap the PSU and get a new one. Wish I knew then what I know now I would open the PSU up and figure out WHY the PSU all the sudden turned into a killer... but damn those MSI boards were horrible. Lost so many good Athlons back then.
Jeez! Sounds rough. Do they still so that?

Jun 28, 2020
Well I have been working with computers since they filled a room. When the PC was invented I had to learn how they worked so I could fix them in hospitals. That was my job for many years. So I can only speak for myself but never had a power supply go bad in a way that it did any damage to the computer itself. So for me my rate was 0% failures did damage. So now I am in a nursing home still building. I am building a gaming computer. I have a Ryzen 5 3200G. I am going to have to use the VEGA 11 until I get enough money saved up to get a good GPU. Right now if I had the money I would get a RX 580 but I am also looking at lots of different used on. So if anyone knows of a good GPU that someone wants to sell to an old man in a nursing home let me know. This will be my last build I am sure. I want to end with a good gaming one for me to just sit at and play games till my life comes to a peaceful end. My favorite is playing "City Skylines". I can not wait to see it on my good computer and I will be able to download a lot of the the people have made. Well that got long. Goodbye for now. John

Reactions: kvcode
Sep 11, 2020
Chances are from 0% to 100%.
There is no way to put a specific number on that.

One of my old PSUs did indeed kill a motherboard. Green label CX600.

i think my cx600m fried my mobo. Already wasnt posting, red cpu qled staying on after power. So i figured id try 20$ power supply tester. Im pretty sure it was psu cuz i had no power light on front panel and got it back after unplugging mouse and keyboard. was testing it with a 20 dollar power supply tester with crappy connections on it. While it was on 24 pin came out and in from poorly designed connector on tester. Only had green leds on on tester from one psu output port before, then i had none after.

Status
Not open for further replies.