Question What are the ideal temperatures of stock 11600k with using Arctic LFII?

Jan 23, 2023
Hi all!

I just bought the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 (Rev.7) liquid cooler. I used the MX-5 thermal paste that came in the box. I'm using it with my stock (unoverclocked) i5 11600K. Processor temperatures are as follows:

Idle: 30-32 degrees

Under 100% load: max 65-66 degrees (Used cinebench r23)

Are these temperatures ideal?

Jan 23, 2023
Not sure about "ideal", but certainly well below worrying about. To some people, "ideal" means as low as possible.

Temps can vary widely due to case, case fans, case internal temps, room temps....none of which we know anything about.

Yes it depends on many factors. Especially, it seems to me that the idle temp value is a bit too much. Even though it's not overclocked, it doesn't make much sense to be 32-33 degrees at idle. There are 2 spare fans. I'm thinking of doing 2 push-pulls from the front and 2 from the back by adding them.

Although I have MX-4, I used MX-5 because I thought it was better. If there is still no change, I'm thinking of clean the MX-5 and apply the MX-4. Because I did some research and the comments about the MX-5 are not very encouraging.

What makes you say the idle temp is too much. It is not going to affect the performance or life of the cpu.
Did you override the fans an force them to run at 100% even at idle. Most coolers are configured to favor lower noise when then the temps are lower.

I assume you are talking actual temperature and not the increase over ambient. 30 degree c is what some people without air conditioning have in their house in the summer.

Jan 23, 2023
What makes you say the idle temp is too much. It is not going to affect the performance or life of the cpu.
Did you override the fans an force them to run at 100% even at idle. Most coolers are configured to favor lower noise when then the temps are lower.

I assume you are talking actual temperature and not the increase over ambient. 30 degree c is what some people without air conditioning have in their house in the summer.

32 degree is not a high temperature but I think it's a bit high for an stock and idle CPU.

You have no temperature worries.

Ambient temperature for a cooler is not necessarily room temperature.
It is the temperature inside the case if your radiator is mounted on top exhausting air. That mount is typical.
If mounted in front taking in fresh air, you start with room temperature.
No cooler is perfectly efficient. 10-15c. over the temp of the cooling air is normal.

The key to paste is not so much the characteristics of the paste as the quality of the mount.
MX4/MX5 is a non issue.

Reactions: generalgranger
Jan 23, 2023
You have no temperature worries.

Ambient temperature for a cooler is not necessarily room temperature.
It is the temperature inside the case if your radiator is mounted on top exhausting air. That mount is typical.
If mounted in front taking in fresh air, you start with room temperature.
No cooler is perfectly efficient. 10-15c. over the temp of the cooling air is normal.

The key to paste is not so much the characteristics of the paste as the quality of the mount.
MX4/MX5 is a non issue.

Look at almost every benchmarking site they commonly get 10 degree C over ambient a idle. Unless you are a crazy person who does not heat his house that is about what you are seeing.

I bought SilverStone Air Blazer 120RW ARGB fans and mounted them to the radiator with 2 front and 2 rear (push-pull).

Temperatures dropped significantly. The result is truly incredible.

Idle: 23-24 degree
Under 100% load: 54-55 degree (Used cinebench r23)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I bought SilverStone Air Blazer 120RW ARGB fans and mounted them to the radiator with 2 front and 2 rear (push-pull).

Temperatures dropped significantly. The result is truly incredible.

Idle: 23-24 degree
Under 100% load: 54-55 degree (Used cinebench r23)
Arctic P12
1800rpm
55.6CFM
2.2mm-H2O

Silverstone AB120R
2200rpm
93.97CFM
3.53mm-H2O

Looks like brute-force-airflow. The case and layout of the hardware was omitted - it adds to the whole picture.
The 2 fans don't have the same max rpm either - if the temperature curve's fan settings were left on auto, that was not as fair of a comparison as it could've been; the AB120Rs have ~22% more rpm than the P12s.
Unlike the fans on air coolers, the ones on AIO/CLCs fill 2 roles: cooler and case fans.
The Liquid Freezer IIs' prepackaged fans aren't the strongest set out there - that probably goes to EK's Elite series, which is a push-pull package.
If you want the strongest case fans and noise levels are of little concern, LF II probably isn't it. LF II is popular due to its balance of performance, noise levels, and cost, which is damn hard to beat.