What are the pros and cons of icons in taskbar instead of on the desktop?

suzb

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
My pc is running on very little memory. I am wondering if placing my icons in the taskbar instead of on the desktop is making a difference. Please advise. Thanks.

I wouldn't think so. A shortcut is a shortcut, regardless where it is.
Have you looked in Task Manager to see what memory usage by resource is, and how much memory do you have installed ?

suzb

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Thanks for your help, but I am not pro enough to follow your suggestion. Somewhere, possibly at "Ask Leo," I read that one can minimize memory usage by not placing too many icons on the desktop or taskbar. I removed all icons from the taskbar and minimized icons on the desktop.
Now I found an excellent download to minimize memory usage: StartUpLite by Malwarebytes. I definitely noticed a difference as soon as I ran the program. I highly suggest it and it's freeware.
Greetings, Suzanne C.

Glad you got it sorted. - And if you want an excellent malware scanner, they have a free one !

RAM - You can right click My Computer, Properties, and on General Tab you will see how much RAM you have. If 512MB or lower, you should add more.

suzb

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

Yes, I've had Malwarebytes for a long time. Once, I had a IT person here and when his paid service couldn't fix the problem, he download a program that fixed the problem. Ever since then I am using Malwarebytes.