[SOLVED] What are the risks of changing my motherboard and CPU without reinstalling my OS?

necroheadbanger

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017
I'm switching from an MSI H110M Pro-VH Plus with a Pentium to a ASRock B560M-HDV with an I3 10105F. I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bits. I don't have the time to reinstall my OS currently, and there's too much to back up, and I'd have to spend too much time reinstalling many things, and I won't have a break until December to really do this.

I know that, in the case of Win 10, I might need a new license, but what else can happen besides that? Is there any risk that the OS may not function properly? Or do I risk any data loss on my HDD, or any malfunction from my hardware, or anything similar?

Solution
3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months

With the level of change you're doing, #1 is the least likely.

Fresh install of the OS and applications, with ONLY the desired drive connected. Data on any other drives won't be affected, because they're not connected.

USAFRet

Titan
3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months

With the level of change you're doing, #1 is the least likely.

Fresh install of the OS and applications, with ONLY the desired drive connected. Data on any other drives won't be affected, because they're not connected.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I don't have the time to reinstall my OS currently, and there's too much to back up,
  1. You don't have the option of "no time to do it"
  2. 'too much to back up'? If your data is at that much risk, you're doing things wrong. What if that physical drive died right now? Your data should never be at the mercy of a single drive, or subject to loss from needing a reinstall of the OS.

necroheadbanger

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017
  1. You don't have the option of "no time to do it"
  2. 'too much to back up'? If your data is at that much risk, you're doing things wrong. What if that physical drive died right now? Your data should never be at the mercy of a single drive, or subject to loss from needing a reinstall of the OS.

Well, I am doing an intensive Java course, and getting screwed by university, as I have 3 concurrent group projects at this time. I'd have to spend more than just an entire weekend reconfiguring everything, and reinstalling dozens of software I regularly use. I know I don't have the option of preventing this from happening, but I don't have the time off to do all of this before changing my hardware.

And yes, it's around 50 or 60 gigabytes of data, and I don't really have any places to store it except the most important on a couple of 8gb pendrives I have. Even if I had a cloud with enough space, I upload at like 100 KB/s, so even then it'd take me a long while to upload everything to a cloud. The most I can do, right now, is partition my disk, but I'm not sure if that would really save my files in the event of an OS malfunction.

I'm switching from an MSI H110M Pro-VH Plus with a Pentium to a ASRock B560M-HDV with an I3 10105F. I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bits. I don't have the time to reinstall my OS currently, and there's too much to back up, and I'd have to spend too much time reinstalling many things, and I won't have a break until December to really do this.

I know that, in the case of Win 10, I might need a new license, but what else can happen besides that? Is there any risk that the OS may not function properly? Or do I risk any data loss on my HDD, or any malfunction from my hardware, or anything similar?
Don't change anything until you have the time to do this proper.
You run the risk of having a busted pc and then you have a crisis.

D

Deleted member 14196

No you don’t all you have to do is reinstall windows and install Java and finish your class and then you can bother with your other software. Only install the stuff you’re going to use immediately and worry about your games and other garbage later

And why on earth would anybody have 60 GB of data and nowhere to back it up to? You’re just asking to lose it. If your hard drive or storage fails you’re totally screwed so I hope you realize that

So I guess you shouldn’t upgrade your hardware until you have the time to do a proper set up