Question What are the thoughts on 14500 compared to 13500?

Mar 21, 2024
The thing is I've been deciding on a build for quite a while now. Because of some one reason or the other, i kept pushing it for later. So, earlier when I decided on 13500. Everyone said it's a better choice than 12600K, since the thermals are a lot better. Some said it's the same canned processor as 12600K, idk. And now as I am kind of finalizing everything, intel released 14500. On surface level it seems exact same as 13500. And it's so weird to see how 14th gen just appeared out of nowhere and nobody is really talking about it. Is it bad or just not interesting?

The 13500 has 4 more e-cores than the 12600 and basically the same clocks, so the 13500 has better multicore performance, if you ever need it, thermals will be the same if you set them up the same, if you let them both run as hot as possible than the one with the more cores will also be hotter since it runs more cores.
(unless you put the k cpu on a z mobo and let it auto overclock)
It's all a matter of price at this point, if there is a big difference then the 12600k will still be good for a long time, if the difference is small then why not go for the one with more cores.

Reactions: AlterBoy
The thing is I've been deciding on a build for quite a while now. Because of some one reason or the other, i kept pushing it for later. So, earlier when I decided on 13500. Everyone said it's a better choice than 12600K, since the thermals are a lot better. Some said it's the same canned processor as 12600K, idk. And now as I am kind of finalizing everything, intel released 14500. On surface level it seems exact same as 13500. And it's so weird to see how 14th gen just appeared out of nowhere and nobody is really talking about it. Is it bad or just not interesting?
13500 vs 14500......plug that into google and do some reading.

logainofhades

Titan

Not interesting, but currently $5 cheaper than the 13500, on PCPP.

35below0

Prominent
Jan 3, 2024
On a price/performance basis all of the processor variants are on the same curve.
One plus for the 14500 is that it is a 65w processor that comes with a very good RM1 stock cooler.
Is that cooler really so good? Because for a mere $20-30, or heck even $15, i could get an aftermarket cooler.
I expect it would be cool the CPU more and run more quietly. That's the only reason i'd go with an aftermarket cooler.

Reactions: thestryker
Is that cooler really so good? Because for a mere $20-30, or heck even $15, i could get an aftermarket cooler.
I expect it would be cool the CPU more and run more quietly. That's the only reason i'd go with an aftermarket cooler.
A few other reasons to go for an aftermarket cooler:
  • Better overall cooling performance, which allows the CPU to retain higher boost speeds for longer (if not indefinitely)
  • The hot air isn't being blown onto the motherboard and the surrounding components
    • There's also a good chance the cooler is going to circulate some of that hot air back into itself.
  • Something that works better than Intel's push-pin mounting system
    • While sure, it's not that hard to figure out, every time I've had to do deal with it, I never have enough confidence that the pin actually pushed far enough in. Every thing else I don't have to double/triple check that the mounting job was fine.

Reactions: 35below0
On a price/performance basis, it is hard to beat.
I am using one on a 13100 which is a 60w processor.
Running the cpu-Z bench test which fully loads all the threads, I can't hear the cooler from 2 feet away. I may be a little bit hard of hearing but this is in a Lian li Q-03 case which has NO fans.
My suggestion is to try it and see how it goes.
It costs you nothing.
Change it out if you think you need to.

35below0

Prominent
Jan 3, 2024
On a price/performance basis, it is hard to beat.
I am using one on a 13100 which is a 60w processor.
Running the cpu-Z bench test which fully loads all the threads, I can't hear the cooler from 2 feet away. I may be a little bit hard of hearing but this is in a Lian li Q-03 case which has NO fans.
My suggestion is to try it and see how it goes.
It costs you nothing.
Change it out if you think you need to.
Well i bought a 12100 just recently, for a low power build. Initially i planned to use the stock cooler with it. But i saw an Assassin X120 (of all things:rolleyes:) for a very low price, and i figured it would be probably be quieter than the stock spinner.

The i3 12100 has no e-cores. Is it the end of the line of 4 core Intels?
Reviews say it's punchy and boosts the clocks when it has work to do, so maaaybe it would get hot enough to make the stock cooler buzzy.

It looks like it's totally unneccessary. I thought so myself but didn't mind spending $20 on an aftermarket option.
Oh well. I like silly things.