Question What are these artifacts?

Feb 2, 2023
Hello everyone,
So I own a HP Omen with a GTX 1070. The laptop sometimes artifacts very oddly. I will post a photo of what happens and as you can see everything is corrupted/artifact-ed and doubled EXCEPT my mouse cursor. When this happens I can use my laptop, it isn't frozen. This only happens once per month and NEVER while gaming, and I DO stress the machine quite hard. Games run without any issues for prolonged amount of time. Also I have had issues when I upgrade to latest drivers I can not control my brightness. I move the slider or use keyboard bindings but the brightness is always dimmest possible. Any idea what is going on? Is this a hardware or driver issue?
Image link: View: https://imgur.com/h9aaQr9

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Might want to see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. I'd also check and see if your OS is pending any updates as well. If the BIOS and OS are up to date, use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers using DDU and then manually reinstall with the latest version sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

When the doubling of your image happens, does the GPU end up with an Error Code 43?

Reactions: KyaraM
Feb 2, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Might want to see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. I'd also check and see if your OS is pending any updates as well. If the BIOS and OS are up to date, use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers using DDU and then manually reinstall with the latest version sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

When the doubling of your image happens, does the GPU end up with an Error Code 43?
I tried literally everything I could as far as the drivers are concerned. Contacted Nvidia and this went on for more than a month , ended up reinstalling my OS out of frustration but nothing changed. I can install them but I lose brightness control and its stuck to so low that I can barley see anything on the screen. Always end up rolling back the driver. Last stable one is about 2-3 months ago.
Now as far as to see the error code 43, I'm not sure how to check that. No messages pop up , I just put my computer to sleep , turn it back on and that solves everything
I just reinstalled the latest bios ( I think I had it already but not sure if system reinstall resets it) , but there are no system updates pending. Installed all of them

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
ended up reinstalling my OS out of frustration
Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Look in Device Manager, right click the discrete GPU under display adapters>Properties(unless you see an exclamation mark flagged there).

Feb 2, 2023

Look in Device Manager, right click the discrete GPU under display adapters>Properties(unless you see an exclamation mark flagged there).

Just checked what you told me , nothing in the device manager (device is working properly , there are no conflicts and no exclamation marks anywhere) , furthermore I found an event log for the graphics card (Device Manager> Display adapters>Nvidia GTX 1070 right click properties> Events>View all events) and there are some events but all are information level.
P.S. I really hate bothering people about stuff like this so if you cant be bothered , no problem. Thx for the input so far!

Lutfij

Titan
I really hate bothering people about stuff like this so if you cant be bothered , no problem. Thx for the input so far!
Perhaps you misunderstand how the internet works. We come around here on our own free time and I'm not the only one frequenting the forums. You should be patient with reponses from the www/this community + we have a load of experts who chime in when they've noticed a thread is live.

Feb 2, 2023
I really hate bothering people about stuff like this so if you cant be bothered , no problem. Thx for the input so far!
Perhaps you misunderstand how the internet works. We come around here on our own free time and I'm not the only one frequenting the forums. You should be patient with reponses from the www/this community + we have a load of experts who chime in when they've noticed a thread is live.
Thanks mate , ill update the thread if I notice something new.

If the issue persists through Driver changes, and OS reinstalls, I fear it may be a hardware issue. You might as well check to make sure the BIOS is updated, like mentioned above though. The mouse not being effected and the brightness level being unchangeable is odd too. I would expect the brightness controls to be more hardware side, but apparently the GPU driver version you use affects it. Overall, an interesting problem. If you have updated and reinstalled all possible software, it may be time to look deeper though. Something (probably heat) may have caused damage to the internals, and they cause this issue at random intervals.

Feb 2, 2023
If the issue persists through Driver changes, and OS reinstalls, I fear it may be a hardware issue. You might as well check to make sure the BIOS is updated, like mentioned above though. The mouse not being effected and the brightness level being unchangeable is odd too. I would expect the brightness controls to be more hardware side, but apparently the GPU driver version you use affects it. Overall, an interesting problem. If you have updated and reinstalled all possible software, it may be time to look deeper though. Something (probably heat) may have caused damage to the internals, and they cause this issue at random intervals.
Tph I didn't format the drive when i did the reinstall and I'm not sure if the reinstall was proper because I went through the windows repair option. It did delete all my files and programs on that drive but I think it kept some of my settings. So perhaps I could try a proper reinstall with formatting the drive. Ill let you know how it goes.

TRENDING THREADS