[SOLVED] What are these EFI System Partition and Recovery volumes?

Feb 3, 2020
My computer has three drives

Disk 0 SSD Storage Drive A
Disk 1 SSD Storage Drive B
Disk 2 NVMe Windows 10 Operating System Drive

In Disk Management I see three Volumes I don't recognize.

(Disk 0 partition 1) 200 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition)
(Disk 2 partition 2) 99 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition)
Recovery 529 MB (Healthy Recovery Partition) (this seems associated with the Windows OS drive)

What are these 'EFI System Partition' and 'Recovery' volumes that I did not create?

Solution
200MB EFI system partition on Disk 0 seems to be redundant.
But before removing it, you have to verify that your system is boot capable without it.

Disconnect both storage drives, leave only nvme drive and verify, you can boot into windows.
If this is successful, then you can delete 200MB EFI system partition.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 1
(select 200MB efi system partition)​
delete partition override
exit
My computer has three drives

Disk 0 SSD Storage Drive A
Disk 1 SSD Storage Drive B
Disk 2 NVMe Windows 10 Operating System Drive

In Disk Management I see three Volumes I don't recognize.

(Disk 0 partition 1) 200 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition)
(Disk 2 partition 2) 99 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition)
Recovery 529 MB (Healthy Recovery Partition) (this seems associated with the Windows OS drive)

What are these 'EFI System Partition' and 'Recovery' volumes that I did not create?
  1. EFI System Partition is a partition dedicated to system installed with UEFI BIOS.
  2. Recovery Partition is created by windows, holds data to restore/repair windows in case of troubles.
Both should be ONLY on disk with C: partition with windows on it. Could and should be deleted from all other disks except in case of dual BOOT. .

Can you show screenshot from Disk Management?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

EFI system partition holds UEFI bootloader. If you delete this partition, system becomes unbootable.
Recovery partition is used for system recovery. After a number of unsuccessful reboots, system boots from recovery partition into recovery environment.
This allows to diagnose and repair the problem manually. You still have to know necessary steps to do anything there. Automatic process is not always successful.

200MB EFI system partition on Disk 0 seems to be redundant.
But before removing it, you have to verify that your system is boot capable without it.

Disconnect both storage drives, leave only nvme drive and verify, you can boot into windows.
If this is successful, then you can delete 200MB EFI system partition.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 1
(select 200MB efi system partition)​
delete partition override
exit

Reactions: mythof
Solution
Feb 3, 2020
I verified that the system boots without Storage Drive A and Storage Drive B connected so Disk 0 Partition 1 does seem redundant.

Is it possible to merge the 201 MB Unallocated space where the redundant partition existed? I need to combine that space with the rest of the data on the drive without losing what's on it.

USAFRet

Titan
I verified that the system boots without Storage Drive A and Storage Drive B connected so Disk 0 Partition 1 does seem redundant.

Is it possible to mergethe 201 MB Unallocated space where the redundant partition existed? I need to combine that space with the rest of the data on the drive without losing what's on it.
200MB in a 2TB drive is 0.0001%.
Ignore it. It only looks large, because it has to be readable in that window. If it were to scale, that partition would be about 1 pixel wide.

Is it possible to merge the 201 MB Unallocated space where the redundant partition existed? I need to combine that space with the rest of the data on the drive without losing what's on it.
200MB is not significant.
But if you absolutely want to use that space, then
copy all data from "SSD Storage A" partition to some other drive,​
delete 200MB partition and "SSD Storage A" partition,​
create single large partition and​
copy data back.​