What are y'all's biggest problem with gaming mice?

Aug 29, 2024
I have been wanting to start a manufacturing business, and being a gamer myself, I wanted to base it around that. What are your biggest problems that I could fix in my new mouse and/or possibly some new features like, say a joystick built in.

Unreliable buttons that fail. Some mice have buttons for higher life, but often still fail to use that on the middle click.

I also want both a "sniper" button and the left/right paddle on the mouse wheel (such as dodge left/right). Of the mice I consider (which excludes 100% of wireless mice), it seems to be a problem to find both a sniper button and the left/right paddle. A lot of mice have the left/right paddle hard wired to some function, and even if the rest of the mouse is programmable, they fail to allow that left/right paddle to be reprogrammed. I don't know why the manufacturers often make a programmable mouse, but won't allow that particular button to be programmed.

I'm probably just complaining a lot, but remember that I start by eliminating all mice which don't have high lifetime buttons. In many cases that eliminates entire brands. I really must have that sniper button as well. Nothing remains with the left/right paddle that can be used for random things and which is not hard wired to scrolling up/down. Constantly failing mice are why I start with and refuse to part with high life buttons.

Aug 29, 2024
Unreliable buttons that fail. Some mice have buttons for higher life, but often still fail to use that on the middle click.

I also want both a "sniper" button and the left/right paddle on the mouse wheel (such as dodge left/right). Of the mice I consider (which excludes 100% of wireless mice), it seems to be a problem to find both a sniper button and the left/right paddle. A lot of mice have the left/right paddle hard wired to some function, and even if the rest of the mouse is programmable, they fail to allow that left/right paddle to be reprogrammed. I don't know why the manufacturers often make a programmable mouse, but won't allow that particular button to be programmed.

I'm probably just complaining a lot, but remember that I start by eliminating all mice which don't have high lifetime buttons. In many cases that eliminates entire brands. I really must have that sniper button as well. Nothing remains with the left/right paddle that can be used for random things and which is not hard wired to scrolling up/down. Constantly failing mice are why I start with and refuse to part with high life buttons.
Where would this 'Sniper' button sit

My biggest complaint is size.
Very hard to find a large enough mouse that is comfortable in my x-large hands.
The old Logitech mouseman was about the right size but has not been made for years.
And larger thumb buttons.
I mean I'm 5'9" 150lbs but have very large hands. Size 14 wedding ring.

For a right-handed mouse the "sniper" button is on the left thumb area of the side. If you are gripping the mouse with the right hand, and roll your thumb slightly forward, there would be a button which makes it possible to change the mouse sensitivity (momentarily) simply by shifting your grip forward. It is called a sniper button because it is great for fine movement when zoomed in with optics. You can then essentially play "run and gun" normally, and if desired, use the mouse with much finer movements (it changes the dot per inch sensitivity of the mouse to something smaller) if you are trying to be more precise.

An example of a sniper button is the Razer Basilisk v3. Some images here:
Razer Basilisk at images.google.com

Note on some of the images the left side where your thumb would be. One of the buttons is fairly large, and if you were to roll your thumb forward, then that button would be pressed (not the buttons "above" the thumb, but instead closer to the USB cable). That button is programmable and can be set to different resolutions; presumably you'd set the mouse up normally, and then adjust the thumb to momentarily reduce mouse sensitivity. I use that button a lot in most games.

What that particular mouse lacks is the ability to use the mouse wheel with a "left" or "right" motion. With that the Razer Basilisk would be just about perfect since then one could "lean left or right", or "dodge left or right". I only see this on Logitech, but Logitech is the absolutely worst company in the business when it comes to buttons failing. You can find a Logitech mouse with great setup which includes both a sniper button and left/right dodge/lean, but it is almost guaranteed to fail soon if you use it a lot (the workaround is to not use the Logitech mouse so the buttons don't wear out prematurely).

I also forgot to mention that if your mouse's performance and latency matters, then don't use a wireless mouse. Always stick to a wired mouse if that matters.