[SOLVED] What are your thoughts about MSRP and actual prices of the 5700 XT/3070/3080 GPUs. Is it worth it?

Nov 14, 2020
Hello users!

I've been lurking on this forum a couple of days now, looking for a good GPU choice due to my broken existing one and the upcoming release of Cyberpunk (obvious). The CPU choice (Ryzen 5 5600X) was easy for me, but GPU is much more complex due to high demand and low stock, I'm sure that you know everything.

The question is, what would be the wisest choice of the GPU considering the price and the state of the market?

Here are 3 current candidates, I'm from Ukraine:
Gigabyte PCI-Ex Radeon RX 5700 XT - 399 USD MSRP, and it costs 14499 UAH / 514.96 USD - it is 130% of the MSRP;
Gigabyte PCI-Ex GeForce RTX 3070 - 499 USD MSRP, and it costs 28999 UAH / 1,029.96 USD - it is 206% of the MSRP;
Gigabyte PCI-Ex GeForce RTX 3080 - 699 USD MSRP, and it costs 38999 UAH / 1,385.13 USD - it is 198% of the MSRP.

I was considering buying RX 6800 XT for my build, but due to the news about actual stock availability, I doubt that the situation will be better than the 3070/3080 ones. I bought my CPU, and it cost me approximately 126% of the MSRP, and I'm sure that it is the usual price in my country due to shipping costs, etc. Now, when it comes to a GPU choice, I'm much more hesitant, and those prices are obviously not worth it for me. The finishing factor is that I'm using a 1080p display, and 5700 XT will work completely fine with current-gen games, I'm even doubting that I will actually play anything in the upcoming years since I'm kinda bored of games already. Considering the fact that 3070/3080/6800 XT are overkill for the 1080p, and it is not worth investing in 4k displays and relevant GPU in 2020 due to the market situation I'm leaning towards the RX 5700 XT.

The last variable is that there will be a release of 3060 Ti, which looks quite good for 1080p gaming, but it is unclear what the price for that GPU will be. NVIDIA is saying that they are preparing and the availability is quite good, but who knows? If the price for the 3060 Ti will be 150-200% of the MSRP, will it be worth it compared to the RX 5700 XT?

The other question is, maybe there are equivalents of RX 5700 XT that you would actually suggest, that have better value? Due to last year's release date, most likely the cost comparing to the MSRP is not that different.

What is your opinion? What do you think about buying GPUs right now and within the next year or so? Will the market actually change?

Thank you for the reply and stay safe.

Last edited:
Solution
For the normal MSRP price, all of the GPUs are quite decent :)
And 2070 Super costs also 30% more than the MSRP in my country, but according to userbenchmark.com 5700 XT actually has a better value, as I can see.

So, in this current situation, since I'm from Ukraine, where all of the GPUs and CPUs are 25-30% more expensive than MSRP price, it seems like a good choice to pick 5700 XT, right? Just want to be sure that my logic is good haha

You're stuck between a rock and a hard place in the current situation with the prices and availability.

I'm not going to pick for you, what I will add is that I bought a 5700xt earlier this summer (I did get it for just over £300 though) and can honestly say I'm not in the least bit...

BradHP

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
5700xt is a decent choice at it's normal price. I think as far under $400 USD as you can get is worth it. Seen some rebates and sales on Newegg recently that brought some models down around $360. I think the closest existing equivalent to the 5700xt is the 2070 Super, which is also selling for way more than it's worth (and had a higher starting price).

Reactions: macca2077
Nov 14, 2020
5700xt is a decent choice at it's normal price. I think as far under $400 USD as you can get is worth it. Seen some rebates and sales on Newegg recently that brought some models down around $360. I think the closest existing equivalent to the 5700xt is the 2070 Super, which is also selling for way more than it's worth (and had a higher starting price).

And 2070 Super costs also 30% more than the MSRP in my country, but according to userbenchmark.com 5700 XT actually has a better value, as I can see.

So, in this current situation, since I'm from Ukraine, where all of the GPUs and CPUs are 25-30% more expensive than MSRP price, it seems like a good choice to pick 5700 XT, right? Just want to be sure that my logic is good haha

BradHP

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
The best choice is to wait a few more weeks if you can. The 3060ti is expected to show up in early December for around $400, there are rumors of another batch of new AMD 6000 cards at a cheaper price point than the 6800, and maybe the availability and prices of everything else will stabilize soon.

You're stuck between a rock and a hard place in the current situation with the prices and availability.

I'm not going to pick for you, what I will add is that I bought a 5700xt earlier this summer (I did get it for just over £300 though) and can honestly say I'm not in the least bit disappointed, it will cruise through games at 1080p 60fps without breaking a sweat, it even foes a reasonable job on most titles at 4k

Solution

BradHP

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011

I'm not going to pick for you, what I will add is that I bought a 5700xt earlier this summer (I did get it for just over £300 though) and can honestly say I'm not in the least bit disappointed, it will cruise through games at 1080p 60fps without breaking a sweat, it even foes a reasonable job on most titles at 4k

That just annoys me even more that the 5700xt is so overpriced right now.

Nov 14, 2020
And what are your thoughts about the 3060Ti release? Rumored specs are very similar to the 5700XT, and the price may be even higher. What is the potential advantage that 3060Ti may have compared to the 5700XT, and what is the bottom line of actual price, where those advantages are not worth it anymore? What if 3060Ti gonna cost 50% more than its leaked MSRP, will it still be better than 5700XT with its 30% higher price?

And what are your thoughts about the 3060Ti release? Rumored specs are very similar to the 5700XT, and the price may be even higher. What is the potential advantage that 3060Ti may have compared to the 5700XT, and what is the bottom line of actual price, where those advantages are not worth it anymore? What if 3060Ti gonna cost 50% more than its leaked MSRP, will it still be better than 5700XT with its 30% higher price?

Nobody actually knows.

The simple fact is if you need a card now you're stuck with what's actually available.

If the 5700xt is the least inflated of those current cards then it is actually probably the best choice, as I said before for 1080p it's pretty much going to cruise through games irregardless of how new they are.

The bad thing about these days is it comes down to what you can actually buy or how long your willing to wait.

The ones of us who actually have fairly decent setups already are lucky imo.

The trouble is we're now in a society where people want stuff and they want it now.

At the moment that's just not going to happen, I wanted a xbox series X for Christmas but don't see it happening so I've spent money on some new wardrobes instead 😂😂😂 the eccentricities of middleagedness for you.