Question What cable/adapter should I buy to have full use of hdmi cable via DP connector in TV

jaskowski

Distinguished
May 3, 2016
Hi, I plan to replace the graphics card as well as the TV, I use the TV as an extension of the PC screen to watch movies etc. Since i have <Mod Edit> old 60hz tv any hdmi/dp 1$ adapter is ok. I have my PC monitor hooked up via HDMI and since theres only one port in GPU i have to use DP for TV connection. (We talking about 4K 120Hz TV)
The question is what to buy to use full possibilities of the cable. HDMI>DP (2.1) cable, adapter, something else?
What are the options here?

I dont use DP on PC screen because its cutting whole screen out when turned off by switch (like totally disconnected by axe). Dont know what is the solution to this, spent days working it out, using hdmi solves the problem. Lets focus on TV>DP stuff. Thanks

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, I plan to replace the graphics card as well as the TV, I use the TV as an extension of the PC screen to watch movies etc. Since i have <Mod Edit> old 60hz tv any hdmi/dp 1$ adapter is ok. I have my PC monitor hooked up via HDMI and since theres only one port in GPU i have to use DP for TV connection. (We talking about 4K 120Hz TV)
The question is what to buy to use full possibilities of the cable. HDMI>DP (2.1) cable, adapter, something else?
What are the options here?

I dont use DP on PC screen because its cutting whole screen out when turned off by switch (like totally disconnected by axe). Dont know what is the solution to this, spent days working it out, using hdmi solves the problem. Lets focus on TV>DP stuff. Thanks
If display port is a requirement, buy a TV with that as an input. Adapters are always a gamble.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
So if I am reading this correctly, you are/will be using the single HDMI port on your graphics card for your main computer monitor, and want to use the card's DP output to connect to your second TV, which has an HDMI port also, right ?

If so, this is the exact same thing I am doing right now (but I have 1 monitor & + 2 TV's)

And so as I learned when I set up my home office, the REAL trick with both adapters & conversion cables is to make sure you get an ACTIVE one, which contains the electronic circuitry to make the conversion happen correctly & efficiently....

Passive cables only pass the signals straight thru from one connector type to the other without any changes and generally will NOT work in this case, being that it will be coming from a computer's graphics card output to a TV input.......

Depending on the age & specs of your computer, you could also get a docking station that has multiple display outputs, but that generally requires a new(ish) machine with Thunderbolt 4/USB-C port that is capable of supporting multiple monitors/TV's via DP v1.4 or higher.....

Last edited:

jaskowski

Distinguished
May 3, 2016
So if I am reading this correctly, you are/will be using the single HDMI port on your graphics card for your main computer monitor, and want to use the card's DP output to connect to your second TV, which has an HDMI port also, right ?

If so, this is the exact same thing I am doing right now (but I have 1 monitor & + 2 TV's)

And so as I learned when I set up my home office, the REAL trick with both adapters & conversion cables is to make sure you get an ACTIVE one, which contains the electronic circuitry to make the conversion happen correctly & efficiently....

Passive cables only pass the signals straight thru from one connector type to the other without any changes and generally will NOT work in this case, being that it will be coming from a computer's graphics card output to a TV input.......

Depending on the age & specs of your computer, you could also get a docking station that has multiple display outputs, but that generally requires a new(ish) machine with Thunderbolt 4/USC-4 port that is capable of supporting multiple monitors/TV's.....
Exactly, single HDMI taken by computer monitor, DP left for TV. Active adapter should be working solution, good idea.
I wonder if the "direction of the cable" matters? I mean going from computer's DP and then adapter to HDMI or the other side (HDMI cable and then adapter converting to computers DP)?

kanewolf

Titan
Exactly, single HDMI taken by computer monitor, DP left for TV. Active adapter should be working solution, good idea.
I wonder if the "direction of the cable" matters? I mean going from computer's DP and then adapter to HDMI or the other side (HDMI cable and then adapter converting to computers DP)?
Adapters are usually "one way" devices. So a DP->HDMI probably won't work the other way around. Does your adapter show an "input" side?

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019

Yes the direction of the cable matters.... be 100% certain you get an active DP-to-HDMI cable and NOT an HDMI-to-DP cable, which is the exact opposite of what you need :)