Question What can cause a pc to crash the first time it's turned on, but not subsequently?

gingerninja252

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2014
Hi folks, bit of a weird one.

Whenever I turn my computer on and I load up some games my pc crashes. The speakers give out this awful buzzing/zipping noise and the screen stutters and then freezes. It then doesn't unfreeze just continues going BZZZZZZ. So then I rest my pc and load back into games and what do you know it's completely fine. No issues whatsoever no freezing no stuttering nothing.

The next day or after a few days (work yay) I turn on my pc and same issue as before, freezing stuttering and death. Rest my pc, and voila it's totally fine.

I've tried MEMTEST - nothing, tried Furmark - nothing, tried Cinebench - nothing, tried running both Furmark and Cinebench at the same time - nothing. Mind you, all of those were obviously done post reset. This error first started popping up a few weeks ago and I was getting a BSOD with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. I discovered my CPU was turboing above stock (i5-7500 @ 3.4Ghz) permanently even at idle. I disabled turboing in the BIOS and this fixed the error but I still don't know why the CPU randomly started doing that. Since then I've been getting the above problem.

What is going on? What can cause a pc to crash the first time but not after? Is it faulty hardware? Do I need to reinstall windows or driver's or something? All drivers are up to date. Also RX590 I hope to god it's not a GPU issue I can't afford a new one at these prices.

gingerninja252

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2014
what are specs of the PC?

turning this off might remove need for a restart and the crashes - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

if it fixes, actual cause is likely drivers.

do you have any motherboard apps installed that might have led to it running faster or anything?
I have an i5-7500 with a RX590 and 32GB of DDR4-2400 on an Asus Q270-M board.

I turned on my pc this morning and there was nothing from the GPU at all, and AMD errored on my mobo monitor and said "no AMD product discovered" at which point I cleared the drivers and reinstalled and the GPU turned up again and it all seemed to work fine but I'm not convinced it won't just crash again tomorrow

Colif

Win 11 Master
thats a little troubling

I don't know if changing drivers will help if card decides not to work.

Turning fast startup off might make it happen more, or less... its hard to say. If you have newest drivers, it shouldn't be them.

Have you done any mining on it?? Only ask as helping someone whose 2 RX580 are crashing and he had done mining on them.