[SOLVED] What can I do to after rebooting a PC that was forced to shut down using the power button

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Hi,

I've had to shut down my PC using the power button a couple of times this month. I've read that this is really bad for the PC.

I'm just wondering is there anything I can do in order to "heal" the PC after doing this to fix any potential damage I may have caused?

Any helpful information would be appreciated!

Kind regards

Solution
The only thing bad that happens is you lose any data that you wanted to save but didn't have a chance to save it. The OS may complain the next time you boot it that it has to check the file system, but this is likely from it discovering there was a pending operation that didn't actually happen. Unexpected shut downs by themselves don't damage the components.

However, if you have to do this regularly, then it is a symptom of a problem. But this symptom is as generic as someone coughing.
The only thing bad that happens is you lose any data that you wanted to save but didn't have a chance to save it. The OS may complain the next time you boot it that it has to check the file system, but this is likely from it discovering there was a pending operation that didn't actually happen. Unexpected shut downs by themselves don't damage the components.

However, if you have to do this regularly, then it is a symptom of a problem. But this symptom is as generic as someone coughing.

Solution

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019

Okay thanks for your helpful response.