[SOLVED] What can I do with a spare 120GB SSD?

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
Hello!
So I updated my Corsair LX128 SSD where I had my OS to a XPG Spectrix 512GB M.2 drive for speed and space purposes, however, I won't be able to sell the 120GB SSD since let's be fair, no one really wants any of those, so I prefer to find an alternate use for this SSD than try to sell it.
I've heard about installing specific games in there (might do), software (i'll just use my new SSD for all required software), install Linux (not really into that), use for game clips/backups (also may do) and last but not least, use it as some sort of HDD optimization, which really convinces me but don't know how to do and if it is really worth it.
Would really appreciate some help!
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hello!
So I updated my Corsair LX128 SSD where I had my OS to a XPG Spectrix 512GB M.2 drive for speed and space purposes, however, I won't be able to sell the 120GB SSD since let's be fair, no one really wants any of those, so I prefer to find an alternate use for this SSD than try to sell it.
I've heard about installing specific games in there (might do), software (i'll just use my new SSD for all required software), install Linux (not really into that), use for game clips/backups (also may do) and last but not least, use it as some sort of HDD optimization, which really convinces me but don't know how to do and if it is really worth it.
Thanks in advance.
What do you use your system for?
Put...

testsubject2575

Reputable
Dec 26, 2019
Hello!
Thanks in advance.
Use it as an external drive or as a utility drive with lots of applications and an operating system. Other thing you can do is use it as a network drive for your router/modem.

Last edited:

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
Use it as an external drive or as a utility drive with lots of applications and an operating system. Other thing you can do is use it as a network drive for your router/modem.
My OS will be installed in my M.2. So, would you recommend me getting one of those SATA to USB adapters to keep it as an external drive or leave it inside my PC and use it to store backup data? Also, which are the benefits of using it as a network drive?

testsubject2575

Reputable
Dec 26, 2019
My OS will be installed in my M.2. So, would you recommend me getting one of those SATA to USB adapters to keep it as an external drive or leave it inside my PC and use it to store backup data? Also, which are the benefits of using it as a network drive?
I can't recommend any SATA to USB adapters, I just rely on those cheap no brand adapters.

Network drives are great for wireless access to drives that are usually inaccessible to mobile devices (most of them support Flash Drives using OTG, but not SSDs, and some smartphones doesn't support OTG at all). You can store lots of music and movies that can be accessed by every device that is connected to the network or use it as a file transfer medium from mobile to PC and vice versa without the need of cables/connectors.

Last edited:

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
I can't recommend any SATA to USB adapters, I just rely on those cheap no brand adapters.

Network drives are great for wireless access to drives that are usually inaccessible to mobile devices (most of them support Flash Drives using OTG, but not SSDs, and some smartphones doesn't support OTG at all). You can store lots of music and movies that can be accessed by every device that is connected to the network or use it as a file transfer medium from mobile to PC and vice versa without the need of cables/connectors.
Then maybe I should just install the SSD into the PC and use it for ocasional backups. Since I don’t really see me using those networking features to be honest.

Reactions: testsubject2575

USAFRet

Titan
Hello!
Thanks in advance.
Put a game or two on it.

I use my eldest and smallest SSD as cache space for Lightroom, CAD, video applications.

For games:
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

Solution

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
Look at some of the articles -- https://www.tomshardware.com/topics/raspberry-pi

Main thing is it is a cheap way to have some experience with Linux.
Put a game or two on it.

I use my eldest and smallest SSD as cache space for Lightroom, CAD, video applications.

For games:
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png
Put a game or two on it.

For games:
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png
I use my system for some gaming, but mainly for Architectural CAD using 3D modelling, sketching and rendering software, as well as photoshop and some other programs. I could potentially use it for cache space as you did, but also to backup some files over there?

USAFRet

Titan
I use my system for some gaming, but mainly for Architectural CAD using 3D modelling, sketching and rendering software, as well as photoshop and some other programs. I could potentially use it for cache space as you did, but also to backup some files over there?
That drive is the perfect location for cache of those applications.
And sure...an extra copy of some files there.
Photoshop actions and presets as well.