What can I swap out and add when I remove the optical drive from a Dell Optiplex 745 (Desktop version)?

Jaime_18

Prominent
May 16, 2017
I have a Dell Optiplex 745 DT that I've upgraded. But, Im wondering if I can swap the optical drive and put something else there like a fan or another HDD or anything else.
Specs:
Core 2 Quad Q6700
GTX 750 TI (low profile)
500GB HDD

also i need a new aftermarket heatsink, could anyone link a heatsink (only Amazon) and is there an ATX PSU that can fit and work with the Dell Optiplex. I saw a thread that said that someone was able to put an ATX PSU in it.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Since you have the desktop style case, you have a problem. Only a Dell PSU will work due to the size of the PSU used in this case design.

Confirmation can be found here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19438866

You may also run into a problem trying to mount a non-Dell PSU. The heatsink design used by Dell with these older systems uses a non-standard fastener layout so you can't typically mount a standard heatsink to the motherboard (the holes won't line up).

Honestly, you need to consider saving your money and building a standard rig.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Since you have the desktop style case, you have a problem. Only a Dell PSU will work due to the size of the PSU used in this case design.

Confirmation can be found here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19438866

You may also run into a problem trying to mount a non-Dell PSU. The heatsink design used by Dell with these older systems uses a non-standard fastener layout so you can't typically mount a standard heatsink to the motherboard (the holes won't line up).

Honestly, you need to consider saving your money and building a standard rig.

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut
From a PM, the OP indicated that the system will be operated with the case cover off (assuming to accommodate a standard PSU).

Doing this is not recommended for safety reasons.

The stock PSU should be fine with the 750ti, so no PSU upgrade is needed.