What can we expect from northwood.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

Juin, you should know what you're talking about before you open your mouth. AMD has been doing an incredible amount of R&D the last 2-3 years. They have outpatented Intel the last couple years, and last year by a large margin. Ever hear of Hypertransport? Ever hear of Powernow? x86-64? So aside from licensing x86 from Intel, which they will always have to do as long as they make x86 processors, there isn't much AMD's copying. If you look at all the patents AMD has been awarded I would say they're innovating more than Intel.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>Ever hear of Hypertransport?

yeah, ever hear of Api Networks formerly Alpha processors? The Credit really goes to Alpha and Compact for LDT aka Hypertransport, also note that the chip is called AP1011(Alpha Processors) interesting isn't it?

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"

G

Ahh, the worthless peanut gallery... Yeah, ever hear of Hewlett Packard? Itanium? If you consider Itanic (Itanium) some great feat the credit for this remarkable design <insert sarcasm> goes to HP.

"Intel...you are still overpriced crap, good bye!"

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well what i know Northwood better not be cripple like the current P4. Northwood is intels make or brake. They would be stupid to cripple it. Well PC133 will be faster PC1033 rdram since PC100 is faster then PC800 rdram.

Well the Soundblaster 2 most likely will have a APU.
Well the Radeon 2 will have a full GPU.
Well Gaming wise Processors will not matter as much as before.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not really. Many companies will buy out another company when desirable technology can be acquired. Why reinvent the wheel?

Who did the R & D is immaterial. Who owns the technology is.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Amd
X86-64 bit there 1 to 2 year behind intel.Amd will probaly run old 32bit software faster.
old trusty Fpu x87 who is faster on AMD.
The 1 t-bird was in a old 0.25 micron.
Intel made a improvement in the predict branch unit amd make 1 in pal.Speepstept is introduce amd introduce a simmilar tech a couple of time after.

The you have see how much time """"old"""" come in the way.
X86-64 will take many year because of AMD.If software developper can still make a 32 bit software they will make it to save cash.

R&D intel vs amd

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

bhc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
juin -- If you want to talk about Intel vs AMD in R&D, let me remind you a few things:
1. Intel used to lead AMD in manufacturing technology by AT LEAST half generation. However, AMD hooked up with Motorola at the 0.18 micron technology and made great stride. AMD, not Intel, was the first one produce x86 CPUs with copper metalization. Now AMD is working with IBM to become the first to use the SOI (silicon on insulator) technology to make CPUs. Moreover, AMD announced its manufacturing 0.13 micron technology at IEDM 2000, at the same time as Intel. In other word, AMD becomes quite competitive in manufacturing technology.
2. Although I am no expert in CPU design, I think the results speak for themselves. AMD has consistently produced competitive if not significant better CPU core design and architecture for the last few years.
3. If you want to talk about R&D budget, there is NO comparison. Intel used to spend more on R&D than the AMD's total revenue. However, judging from the end results, you have to admit AMD spend its resources much more wisely and efficiently.

The bottom line is not what you put out in press release, but it is what you can produce for your customers. In that regard, AMD is doing quite well despite the fact it's a much smaller company and it has much smaller R&D.

**Spin all you want, but we the paying consumers will have the final word**