[SOLVED] What can you do with a Raspberry PI?

Solution
I know that some people use them to make a Bitcoin node.

But what else can they be used for?
L E A R N...
All computers do the same thing, some faster than others, but they all process 1's and 0's. The Raspberry Pi is probably the best platform for learning without going to University. Learning about Raspberry Pi will lead a person towards 'Telling Computers What To Do'.

I bought my first computer from the drug store across the street from the house in 1983. It was a Sinclair ZX81 I was 24 years old and wanted to break out of blue collar work and do something with computers but I only had a high school education and no computer experience.

I began learning how to tell my ZX81what to do and in 1984, just one year after...

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
I use mine for controlling pumps and valves in my garden based upon the water moisture sensors that it monitors. I also log the data to do predictive failures for maintenance.

You could use it with a $5 GPS module to create an NTP Server for a private network (though I use an arduino)

I've seen a house energy monitoring system which would end up costing about $200, way less than commercial ones.

Really, it depends on what you want to do.

Pied Piper

Reputable
Jul 13, 2019
I have a Pi Zero that streams Internet Radio, Classic Rock mostly.
I have several Pi 3A+'s setup with Cameras running Motion Eye OS. Two of them have Pan Tilt Hats on them. Bird cameras mostly.
A Pi 4B with the new HQ camera on it running Motion Eye OS.
I have several Pi Zero's setup as weather monitors. Some have color LED matrixes scrolling the info via a text message, others have small color LCD's graphing the info.
A couple of Pi Zero's as two wheel drive rovers.
A beat box with a Pi Zero, piano hat and drum hat for the grand kids to play with.
A Pi400 as a desktop PC setup for tinkering with my Arduino's and BBC Micro Bits.
A 3B+ with the official 7 inch touch screen and a large solderless bread board for prototyping and tinkering with breakouts and other electronics.
Etc, etc, etc, =)

Well the basic idea was to give people access to a PC for as cheap as possible for parts of the world where a PC costs way too much compared to what people earn.
So yeah, for some people it's a modern low cost desktop PC so they can get into the internet and do basic computer stuff, especially the pi 400 nails that.

Best use for a Pi though is running retropi which is an emulation frontend turning your Pi into a nice retro/console/arcade machine.

scodd

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
You could possibly make something that monitors something else and then does something like recording or notifying something if something happens outside or inside of some range of some kind or so many other things entirely different from some of those things already mentioned, for a number of other reasons.

Feb 16, 2021

L E A R N...
All computers do the same thing, some faster than others, but they all process 1's and 0's. The Raspberry Pi is probably the best platform for learning without going to University. Learning about Raspberry Pi will lead a person towards 'Telling Computers What To Do'.

I bought my first computer from the drug store across the street from the house in 1983. It was a Sinclair ZX81 I was 24 years old and wanted to break out of blue collar work and do something with computers but I only had a high school education and no computer experience.

I began learning how to tell my ZX81what to do and in 1984, just one year after purchasing the ZX81, I acquired a job as a sales representative in the cash register business. I was now in the computer industry. In 1994 I became the President of the company. Learning how to tell computers what to do can be very rewarding.

I purchased my first Raspberry Pi in 2012 and received two of the units made in China. I still run these units today as security cameras running RPi_Cam_Web_Interface. That learning project has allowed me to build a 16 camera security surveillance system for an 18 acre nursery and garden center using three commercial grade WiFi Bridges to capture signals from RPi Zero W camera rigs using PiJuice battery backup. I have now built a solar powered RPi Zero W camera rig using the 40W PiJuice Solar panel and 12,000mAh battery.

I have enjoyed many other learning projects on the Raspberry Pi and some of those are also destined to be commercial products that I provide. Here are juat a few more:
  • Network Area Storage using Open Media Vault (OMV)
  • Media Center using Open Source Media Center (OSMC)
  • Legacy Gaming Console using Retropie
  • Internet Pop-up blocker using PiHole
  • Drones, air and underwater
  • Robotics
  • Weather Balloon Photography
  • Wildlife Photo Traps
  • In-Car Entertainment/Sensor Control System
  • Bicycle safety sensors, lights, and controls
  • Multi-room/multi-area audio from a single source
...just to name a few.

I hope you find something of interest for your Raspberry Pi learning experience.

Solution
Dec 16, 2020
L E A R N...

I began learning how to tell my ZX81what to do and in 1984, just one year after purchasing the ZX81, I acquired a job as a sales representative in the cash register business. I was now in the computer industry. In 1994 I became the President of the company. Learning how to tell computers what to do can be very rewarding.

I purchased my first Raspberry Pi in 2012 and received two of the units made in China. I still run these units today as security cameras running RPi_Cam_Web_Interface. That learning project has allowed me to build a 16 camera security surveillance system for an 18 acre nursery and garden center using three commercial grade WiFi Bridges to capture signals from RPi Zero W camera rigs using PiJuice battery backup. I have now built a solar powered RPi Zero W camera rig using the 40W PiJuice Solar panel and 12,000mAh battery.

I have enjoyed many other learning projects on the Raspberry Pi and some of those are also destined to be commercial products that I provide. Here are juat a few more:
  • Network Area Storage using Open Media Vault (OMV)
  • Media Center using Open Source Media Center (OSMC)
  • Legacy Gaming Console using Retropie
  • Internet Pop-up blocker using PiHole
  • Drones, air and underwater
  • Robotics
  • Weather Balloon Photography
  • Wildlife Photo Traps
  • In-Car Entertainment/Sensor Control System
  • Bicycle safety sensors, lights, and controls
  • Multi-room/multi-area audio from a single source
...just to name a few.

I hope you find something of interest for your Raspberry Pi learning experience.

I totally agree with you my friend. I am currently a little busy at the moment learning other things.

Touch typing it is for me at the moment. Slowly getting there. I may get round to R PI in future.

Mar 1, 2021
The raspberry pi is a learning module, by which you can learn and play with technologies.
There are so many applications using raspberry pi like, IOT, Embedded, Fun, Games etc.

Apr 20, 2021
Raperypi is a microcontroller it means you can control any device like
  1. Servo Motors
  2. LCD
3.Any Sensors
4.LEDs

The above devices are the main device which basically almost all the engineer students know with working.
This microcontroller has many functions like CPU, ALU, and more are used to control many devices at a time but it need some basic programming to run.

Pied Piper

Reputable
Jul 13, 2019
This may come across as nit picking, but I think it bears mentioning that,
The Raspberry Pi PICO is a microcontroller.
While the Raspberry Pi (SBC) is a Single Board Computer.
They can do very similar things, but do them in different ways.

The Raspberry Pi is more than capable of doing what's posted above though.

Pied Piper

Reputable
Jul 13, 2019
The Raspberry Pi, is not a Microcontroller. The Raspberry Pi PICO is a microcontroller like an Arduino. The Raspberry Pi SBC is a Single board Computer, which is very different from a Microcontroller.