Build Advice What case and CPU cooler would you recommend for my build?

Jan 12, 2023
Case

Cooler
https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15-chromax-black
Thank you. As for the cpu and motherboard, are they fully compatible? I ask because in the description from amazon the cpu says ddr5 and the motherboard is obviously ddr4.

Jan 12, 2023
Reactions: boju
Jan 12, 2023
Where exactly do you see that at Amazon?? I don't.

Are you in the USA??

$132 is a very very high price to pay for a 1 TB WD SN 550.

Did you reject the SN 570 or SN 770?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09FXNVDBJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

"
Memory speedDDR5

"
I think I ended up paying ~80the ssd. The prices are wrong on that site, for instance, I paid $1099 for the 3090ti before tax. I was only putting the list to show you guys what I have to see what case and cooler i can work with.

I did not look up the 570 or 770, I just saw that one and picked it. Could I have done better? Absolutely, but the ssd is working great for me so I'm okay with not having those better versions.

Jan 12, 2023

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Question, why exactly that case?

Because i have three of them. First was for my main rig 11700k with D15. Plenty of space and very solid construction, also comes with fan controller on the side so you can operate all case fan speed via switch on case if you added any, albeit no complaints with the fans it has already. Side glass panels slide off the hinges for easier work. Was so happy with it i bought another two for sim racing room.

Only thing, remembering now, the front usbc header wire is optional. If you want it connected make sure the case includes it. The latter two cases i got had it but first didn't. Was easy enough to buy separately and install but something i didn't expect.

Jan 12, 2023
Because i have three of them. First was for my main rig 11700k with D15. Plenty of space and very solid construction, also comes with fan controller on the side so you can operate all case fans if you added any, albeit no complaints with the fans it has already. Side glass panels slide off the hinges for easier work. Was so happy with it i bought another two for sim racing room.

Only thing, remembering now, the front usbc header wire is optional. If you want it connected make sure the case includes it. The latter two cases i got had it but first didn't. Was easy enough to buy separately and install but something i didn't expect.
Thanks, those are great reasons. The case I am currently using is the NZXT H510 that was incredibly easy to build in, especially the front panel connectors. How does building in the Lancool II compare to the H510?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks, those are great reasons. The case I am currently using is the NZXT H510 that was incredibly easy to build in, especially the front panel connectors. How does building in the Lancool II compare to the H510?

I don't have experience with H510 but have seen it mentioned and it is decent. However it is not as wide (19mm difference), rasing D15's first fan, depending how tall the ram is, to clear 44mm height ram (which is pretty tall), is what i had to do on my build and panel just closes with a mm gap between it and fan.

Jan 12, 2023
I don't have experience with H510 but have seen it mentioned and it is decent. However it is not as wide (19mm difference), rasing D15's first fan, depending how tall the ram is, to clear 44mm height ram (which is pretty tall), is what i had to do on my build and panel just closes with a mm gap between it and fan.
So, in that case would an aio be preferable?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
In my humble opinion, if cpu doesn't require water to keep cool (which 12700k certainly doesn't) then stay on air. Number 1 reason is the pump's life span, 2~3 years will need replacing, it's an ongoing cost. Not only that but corrosion and possible leaks. Nahh, heatsink and fan all the way. Just need to blow it out every now and then.

There are other coolers about. Deepcool ak620 is pretty good. Rivals D15, not as big for lesser price and has good reviews.

Jan 12, 2023
In my humble opinion, if cpu doesn't require water to keep cool (which 12700k certainly doesn't) then stay on air. Number 1 reason is the pump's life span, 2~3 years will need replacing, it's an ongoing cost. Not only that but corrosion and possible leaks. Nahh, heatsink and fan all the way. Just need to blow it out every now and then.

There are other coolers about. Deepcool ak620 is pretty good. Rivals D15, not as big for lesser price and has good reviews.

Thanks, then I'll probably go with the ak620 since it has better clearance.

Reactions: boju
A good list of parts.
It really is best though to publish your list BEFORE you buy.
I might have suggested a single 2tb m.2 ssd for example.

Cases are a personal thing. Buy one with the looks you love.
Bust your budget for one if necessary, you will be living with it for a long time.

I have liked the Lian Li quality in cases in the past.
Looking at their offerings, I like the lancool216 offering.
https://www.newegg.com/white-lian-li-lancool-atx-mid-tower/p/2AM-000Z-000A9
Two 160mm front intakes will provide plenty of intake airflow at a minimum of noise.
There is an optional filter.
The case supports tall air coolers, the best would be the Noctua NH-D15; it comes in black.

Kellerman88

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Im a pc newbie and was considering aio, but i ended up with a be quiet fan and heatsink. Does not regret at all it run very quiet i can almost not hear it at all, even when i play new games in 4k, cpu stays in between 60 and 69c when playing games. Stays silent. If i was aiming for a faster cpu that need more cooling i think aio looks clean and probably does a better job at high end cpu under hard load.

Jan 12, 2023
A good list of parts.
It really is best though to publish your list BEFORE you buy.
I might have suggested a single 2tb m.2 ssd for example.

Cases are a personal thing. Buy one with the looks you love.
Bust your budget for one if necessary, you will be living with it for a long time.

I have liked the Lian Li quality in cases in the past.
Looking at their offerings, I like the lancool216 offering.
https://www.newegg.com/white-lian-li-lancool-atx-mid-tower/p/2AM-000Z-000A9
Two 160mm front intakes will provide plenty of intake airflow at a minimum of noise.
There is an optional filter.
The case supports tall air coolers, the best would be the Noctua NH-D15; it comes in black.
Thank you for your suggestion. This is the final upgrades to my current system. At the time of my original pc, the name 1th was enough, but now it obviously is not.

I'm also doing this so my brother can have a pc which will he the parts from my current pc (minus gpu, storage and psu) but he has my prior gpu and psu.

Jan 12, 2023
Im a pc newbie and was considering aio, but i ended up with a be quiet fan and heatsink. Does not regret at all it run very quiet i can almost not hear it at all, even when i play new games in 4k, cpu stays in between 60 and 69c when playing games. Stays silent. If i was aiming for a faster cpu that need more cooling i think aio looks clean and probably does a better job at high end cpu under hard load.
That's amazing!