[SOLVED] What case/PSU combo to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
I had to change my plans of a new build. I'm now trying to choose a psu and case that work together. I have a Ryzen 7 5700G, 2x8 GB DDR4 4000 RAM, an MSI MAG 550B Tomahawk mobo, a CD/DVD drive and two HDDs. Wattage Calculators at two different sites estimated 217W or so for a PSU given those items. I'll go with a larger PSU (500-550W) of course because I'm sure that sometime in the future I'll add to my build. Based on articles here at THG, I'm favoring a Super Flower or Seasonic PSU. I'm looking for a plain-looking mid-tower case that has at least two if not three 5.25" external bays and 4+ 3.5" internal bays and 3.0 type A USB ports on the front. pcpartspicker had several that fit that but many of the prices were too much, $100+

What I want to figure out is, what PSU and case will work together with each other? I already passed on buying a Super Flower 550W 80+ Gold on sale at NewEgg because I couldn't determine if the PSU could physically fit into an Antec Three Hundred Two case. The manual did not provide the dimension of the space for the PSU and info at another site led me to think the PSU would be larger than the space in the case and therefore not fit.

Thanks.

Solution
I'm favoring a Super Flower or Seasonic PSU.
Good place to start

what is size of the Super FLower PSU?
Mounting the power supply was a bit of an ordeal until I just grabbed a pair of pliers and bent the metal extrusion upward. It took some pressure off the power supply, but also allowed me to fit the thing in there to begin with. Problem solved. Again, component selection could help here; our SilverStone Strider 750W PSU is by no means massive, but it is 180mm while other PSUs are only 160mm.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/5462/antec-three-hundred-two-stay-cool-budget-enthusiasts/3

A Seasonic Focus should fit in that gap, they only 140mm link

if you get that case I would suggest using the extra 120mm...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I'm favoring a Super Flower or Seasonic PSU.
Good place to start

Mounting the power supply was a bit of an ordeal until I just grabbed a pair of pliers and bent the metal extrusion upward. It took some pressure off the power supply, but also allowed me to fit the thing in there to begin with. Problem solved. Again, component selection could help here; our SilverStone Strider 750W PSU is by no means massive, but it is 180mm while other PSUs are only 160mm.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/5462/antec-three-hundred-two-stay-cool-budget-enthusiasts/3

if you get that case I would suggest using the extra 120mm intake fan mounts on side to give PC more fresh air.

finding cases that have the drive bays you want now is the hard part, so getting a PSU to fit shouldn't be too hard. From pictures, it shows anadtech got 1 180mm PSU in, but it was a tight squeeze. A lot of PSU now are shorter than that.

Last edited:
Solution

parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
Good place to start

if you get that case I would suggest using the extra 120mm intake fan mounts on side to give PC more fresh air.

finding cases that have the drive bays you want now is the hard part, so getting a PSU to fit shouldn't be too hard. From pictures, it shows anadtech got 1 180mm PSU in, but it was a tight squeeze. A lot of PSU now are shorter than that.
Super Flower spec sheet says dimensions are 160mm(L)x150mm(W)x86mm(H). A reply in the Q&A at Amazon says the dimensions of the Antec 302 PSU area is (using cm, not mm) 8cmx14cmx20cm which I converted as 80mmx140mmx200mm. Comparing them, it just seems like the PSU is just slightly bigger than the case's area can accommodate. It doesn't help that responses indicated they had to end up bending a piece of metal in the case to help fit a PSU (brand unknown) into the case.

parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
The PSU is taller by 6mm
The seasonic would also be too tall by same amount

I would try to confirm measurements as 6mm is an annoying amount to be short by. You don't really want to jam a good PSU into a gap
The Antec web site was short on details about the interior dimensions where the PSU would sit. I found a user's manual using Google but it did not give those specs either. I wanted Antec because it felt solid, but I suppose I'll have to look at other brands. I had used a brand called DIY??? before, but it felt flimsy compared to the Antec. I also saw a case at NewEgg for a Rosewill case that might work I have to read the details first though

parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
Rosewill is Newegg's in house case brand so it should have details on their site

https://pangoly.com/en/review/rosewill-challenger

this might help, its close to your model, just don't expect pdf to download fast, I thought I was on dial up again - https://www.rosewill.com/wp-content/uploads/downloadable/user_manuals/UserManual_CHALLENGER-U3.pdf
I talked with NewEgg rep. It turns out this case will not be useful to me. The front mesh screen covers the external bays and would require temporarily or permanently removing the screen for access to a DVD. I have run across other cases and will check them out.

parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
Thanks. After all is said and done, I decided to go for broke (I hope not literally) and made the following purchases. Super Flower 550W Leadex III Gold PSU and Rosewill Challenger S computer case. I could not pin down exactly how well the PSU will fit in the case and trust to luck.

If you don't mind, let's consider this thread resolved. I've probably bored many people, but appreciate your help walking me through some of the ins and outs. Hopefully, I won't run into size compatibility issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.