[SOLVED] What case width is needed for AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor (or similar), and info on Thermaltake Versa H21 Mid Tower Computer Case

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
I plan on buying the processor mentioned in the title. I want to make sure it fits in the case I select.

The case in the title is the one I want to use because of it's depth. But I saw in a user review that the measurements listed online might not be correct, specifically, that the width is not correct. So, I would like to know if anyone happens to know the true measurements, specifically the depth.I am looking for an ATX case that is no deeper than 19 inches.

Thank you for any help,
Andy

Solution
flat out you can expect that cpu to use about 150w. so you'll want at least a 200w cooler. there are some cheap coolers that can handle it and some nice top end expensive ones. it's up to you really, just look for at least 200w of cooling ability and you'll be good to go. that and stay under the 155mm height the case can hold :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
not sure what you mean? the cpu fits onto the motherboard and sticks out not even an inch. it'll fit in any case. what you are thinking of is perhaps the cooler? the stock cooler is not that big and should fit in just about any atx case.

but 3rd party coolers are all kinds of sizes and may or may not fit.

you'll need to clarify a bit more what exactly you are concerned about and even what you mean my depth width and so on. there are a lot of measurements that can be had inside a case and we need to be sure we are all talking about the same ones :)

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
Math Geek,

Thank you for getting back to me.

My question concerning the processor fitting in the case is that I think that there's a fan that comes with the processor. I don't know what the minimal case'width' would be compatible with the processor plus its fan. For the purpose of this question, The case would be upright in a 'normal' operating position (sse 1st picture at https://www.newegg.com/black-therma...&ranSiteID=kXQk6.ivFEQ-dDzflsuzNLD4upoxPEVVSA). So the width would be the distance from the left and right side of the case.

As for the the case I'm asking about, the depth refers to the distance from the front of the case to the back.

Thank you again for your help,
Andy

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the stock cooler will have no problem in that case. however, i missed that the first time as the 5900x does not come with a cooler. you may have seen a combo deal that had a 3rd party one included but there is no stock cooler for the 5900x.

so you need to pick the case, see how big of a cooler it can handle, and then select appropriate cooling for the cpu. for instance the one you linked can hndle a cooler up to 155 mm in height. you'll have to check the specs of the coolers to be sure it is short enough for the case.

not sure what kind of power the 5900x uses so off the top of my head i can't make any suggestions.

as for minimal depth of the case, that is hard to find. i was looking for the shortest case i could find that still took an atx board. i could find nowhere that had any kind of filters to sort by case size like that. you'll be doing a lot of looking back and forth at specs to find one like that. i can tell you though that the cube type cases seem to be the shortest and smallest depth. they are usually just bigger than the atx mobo with everything else behind the mobo making it very wide but shorter on the other 2 sides.

if you need it to be less depth you may have to go with a mATX case in similar cube shape. the smaller mobo will allow for a smaller overall case size

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
Math Geek,

Thank you again for taking the time to answer my question.

I was not sure whether the Ryzens came with a cooler, I will look into what I might need. And thank you for being so precise as to what size would fit.

Your point about filters is well taken. I use Newegg for most of my computer purchases, and dimension are not part of any filter. I have not seen cube cases in my current quest for a new system, but I should look for these.

Thanks again for your help,
Andy

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
flat out you can expect that cpu to use about 150w. so you'll want at least a 200w cooler. there are some cheap coolers that can handle it and some nice top end expensive ones. it's up to you really, just look for at least 200w of cooling ability and you'll be good to go. that and stay under the 155mm height the case can hold :)

Solution