[SOLVED] What causes textures not loaded?

Mair0n

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019
Hello,

I have an issues with my games, specially Fortnite!
when i'm playing Fortnite, my game freezes consistently!
I'm using MSI Afterburner for details of hardware and imo everything is normal that i'm telling them here:
20% of using gpu with 54°c
2Gb of vram using instead
About 50% of cpu with 80°c
And it's using about 6GB of Ram

And i'm experiencing freezes in game and sometimes textures not loading instead of freezes!

And in the other game like Sea of Thieves it's ok with freezes but i have issues with textures.

and also recently i heard some beeps from my pc , thats short and i hear it every 30 or 40 mins

And this is my pc specs:
Intel core i5 4690
8GB of ram 1600Mhz (i know its low)
Asus Strix GTX 1080 Advanced in my gpu slot

Last edited:
Solution
That's old and slow RAM for a PC with a 1080, and it's only 8GB, which is also getting to be insufficient for some games. Turning off all telemetry in W10 yielded 1GB more free RAM for me, but that's personal preference as to whether you care to use such apps that use it.

A usage of 6GB RAM may seem fine, but W10 can use quite a lot, especially with all telemetry left on. You should also make sure you only have startups you need, and disable the rest.

Adding another 8GB RAM would help, but since it's old DDR3 and slow, the money would better be saved toward a more current platform MB that supports DDR4 RAM.

I also recommend setting W10 to Balanced power, but set Power Management in the Nvidia Control Panel profile for each game with...
That's old and slow RAM for a PC with a 1080, and it's only 8GB, which is also getting to be insufficient for some games. Turning off all telemetry in W10 yielded 1GB more free RAM for me, but that's personal preference as to whether you care to use such apps that use it.

A usage of 6GB RAM may seem fine, but W10 can use quite a lot, especially with all telemetry left on. You should also make sure you only have startups you need, and disable the rest.

Adding another 8GB RAM would help, but since it's old DDR3 and slow, the money would better be saved toward a more current platform MB that supports DDR4 RAM.

I also recommend setting W10 to Balanced power, but set Power Management in the Nvidia Control Panel profile for each game with such problems to "Prefer maximum performance". The other problem is your CPU is running rather hot. What case are you using and what CPU cooler?

There are workarounds some try, like Standby List cleaners, which free up the RAM. EmptyStandbyList is one, but to really work properly it requires a task be scheduled in W10 for it to run every 5 min. IntelligentStandbyListCleaner is one that once started is supposed to clean the standby list every time it accumulates to 1000MB.

Both of these are bandaid solutions that may not solve such RAM problems. They're mostly for those whom have not quite enough RAM (8 vs 16GB), but if it's both low capacity AND old gen slow RAM, it's kinda asking for too much.

Lastly, when you say games plural regarding texture loading problems, it depends a lot what games. Most games these days require more than 2GB VRAM to run well, a lot of them more than 4GB. Some are so detailed in graphics and texture streaming dependent, that they're best installed on SSDs that stream textures faster.

Last edited:
Solution

Mair0n

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019

I also recommend setting W10 to Balanced power, but set Power Management in the Nvidia Control Panel profile for each game with such problems to "Prefer maximum performance". The other problem is your CPU is running rather hot. What case are you using and what CPU cooler?

There are workarounds some try, like Standby List cleaners, which free up the RAM. EmptyStandbyList is one, but to really work properly it requires a task be scheduled in W10 for it to run every 5 min. IntelligentStandbyListCleaner is one that once started is supposed to clean the standby list every time it accumulates to 1000MB.

Both of these are bandaid solutions that may not solve such RAM problems. They're mostly for those whom have not quite enough RAM (8 vs 16GB), but if it's both low capacity AND old gen slow RAM, it's kinda asking for too much.

Lastly, when you say games plural regarding texture loading problems, it depends a lot what games. Most games these days require more than 2GB VRAM to run well, a lot of them more than 4GB. Some are so detailed in graphics and texture streaming dependent, that they're best installed on SSDs that stream textures faster.

Thank You so much for your response.

And yes it's too low for 1080 and yes it's only 8GB of RAM but it's still so weird for me because one of my friends have 8GB DDR3 RAM and have no issues with his game like freezing!

I have done it and seems it's not enough.

And about adding another 8GB of RAM..
Is that worthy to buy a temporary 8GB DDR3 RAM? because i need to earn much more money for buying stuffs like a good MB And DDR4 one!

It should be on Power Balanced? then why some ppls says it should be on High Performance?

And whats different between High performance in Power Option and Nvidia Control Panel?

And my Case is Green X2 Jaguar And i didn't add CPU cooler cause I thought it's ok with Case cooling system , thought 70-80°c is ok, am I wrong?

You named some Cleaners I know nothing about em'
But I have a RAM Optimizer named RAM Saver Professional and it's seems good, so btw which one is better for me?

and about Textures,
Actually I'm so confused because it's OK when I re-install my OS, even with freezes.
Installing on SSDs will solve this one?
it's so annoying that I land in some spot in fortnite and the Textures look like that a kid made em!

I appreciate you for replying my questions.

I added another stick of DDR3 toward the end of it's generation on my X58 build because the 6GB I was using was not enough. I happened to find the same Kingston HyperX, but the timings were not quite the same.

When adding RAM it's best to find a module that is pretty much identical to the RAM you're using in brand, model, speed (frequency) and timings. There are 4 timings listed and the one that's most important is the first one (CAS), because it's the one that determines how many CPU cycles lapse in between each passing of data from RAM to CPU.

The fastest, most efficient way to run RAM is in dual channel mode, and in this mode each channel mirrors one another to increase speed. This is why dual channel RAM is sold in matched modules that are measured to be in very close spec to one another.

You can get by with higher timing numbers, which is slower RAM, but it can affect stability until you lower your RAM timing settings in the MB BIOS. This is because your PC will default to the slowest timings of your RAM. I had to do that on my last X58 system, but I also found out I didn't have to go from triple channel to single channel like I thought. It was an odd configuration, but my MB allowed me to run it in dual channel.

Let me know the brand and model of RAM you're using, preferably with timings, and I'll see if I can find a match. DDR3 is getting harder and harder to find, and can be fairly expensive for what you get, especially if it's high performance modules with low timing numbers.

The timings should be listed on your packing slip if you still have it, or the RAM container if you still have that, or the manufacture's website if you know the exact product page. As a last resort, it's also usually on a sticker on the module itself.

The reason most say to put Windows in High Performance mode is they don't know the same can be achieved in the Nvidia Control Panel under Power management with the Prefer maximum performance setting. The reason it's better to do it that way is your CPU only ramps up to it's boost clock speed when the game is launched. Then when you exit the game, the CPU goes back down to idle speed automatically.

In Windows High Performance power mode, your CPU will run at max speed all the time, generating unnecessary heat and wear and tear, and causing it's fan to run at higher speed. I (and I think most) prefer their CPU to run quieter and cooler at idle, which will also make it last longer. This is why Balanced mode is recommended by Windows.

The only caveat is you need to make a profile for each game in Nvidia Control Panel setting the Power management to Prefer maximum performance for any games you're having issues with. It's very quick and easy to do though and only need be done once with each game. People saying to use High Performance power in Windows are either naive, lazy, or running an OC speed constantly.

Yeah if you're only running the stock CPU cooler 80c is normal, but anything 80c or more is still considered fairly hot. The stock coolers just aren't very efficient. For about $33, or much less on a sale, you could get a decent cooler that would keep it at more like under 65c, barring abnormally high summer temps, etc. https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Maste...hyper+212+led&qid=1565031635&s=gateway&sr=8-2

The case looks OK, but if ambient temps are high, I would add the optional 2nd 120mm fan to the front.

I would avoid RAM optimizers, they are often not what they're cracked up to be. You can achieve the same thing just by restarting your PC before a game session, or using a standby list cleaner. All a standby list cleaner does is make sure your standby RAM is free to use. IntelligentStandbyListCleaner is the one to use, and it's very easy to use. It will also continually free up RAM during a game session.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1256

That said, if a reinstall of your OS has fixed the problem before, there may be something you're doing (or a app you're using) that is causing system file corruption or even malware problems. It's possible as well if you're adding programs back in when formatting the OS, it eventual gets to a point where too much RAM is being consumed, especially if you have a lot of startups

I advise you first check for malware, then run the Windows System File Checker (sfc /scannow). CCLeaner and Malwarebytes are two trusted and free tools to clean your PC of possible malware.

CCLeaner https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download

Malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

Refer to the MS support page on how to properly run sfc /scannow in W10. Pay close attention on how to restore the system image first, as you need a healthy system image file to run the scan properly.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Last edited: