Honorable
May 11, 2017
Hi, i currently have this specs:

• ■ Intel Core i5 6500
    ■ Gigabyte GTX 960 4GB Windforce
    ■ 8GB Ram HyperX 2400MHz
    ■ Super Flower SF-550K12XP v2 550W
    ■ MSI H170A PC MATE

I'm currently playing CS:GO using a BenQ XL2411 @ 144 hZ and PUBG, but sadly not hitting 144...
I'm planning to update my rig, but I don't know what. I have a maximum £350 budget.
What should I do? I should wait for the new 2060 (probably releasing in January - February) and now buying a new CPU? If yes, what CPU. Thank you for your time!

Solution
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change...

ethanmarti1598

Upstanding
Apr 5, 2018
Upgrading your GPU will be important if you want to get those 144Hz. If you're playing CS:GO, the CPU shouldn't be a limiting factor. However, for games like PUBG, you might want to upgrade it. For now, focus on upgrading the GPU, as upgrading the CPU will mean a new mobo as well.

In terms of what GPU to upgrade to, a 1080 would be my recommendation right now. You could wait for the new 20 series to come out so the bring the 10 series' prices down, but I would recommend against buying a 2060, at least until retail cards can be tested.

Intel has a worldwide shortage so as your are deciding the prices are rising I've seen them go up twice just today. So either upgrade the CPU now or wait until the i5-9000 series comes out. Or go Ryzen 5 2600X and that platform. Better to wiat until after the 20th to see how the new Nvidia GPUs will affect GPU prices. So I'd say wait for now.

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You should also experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system,
and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
-------------------------------------------------------------

If you decide on cpu, see if you can't wait for the 9th gen intel processors.
If history holds true, you will get a bit better price performance.

If you upgrade the graphics card, look at a significant jump like to a GTX1070/80 class card.
I would not wait for the RTX line; they are likely to be in short supply and will have prices jacked up for the early adopters.

Solution