What could be wrong with my computer?

i dont want a username

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
OK, so I just got this old computer for free that I need to use for something, and stupidly, I took the CPU out before booting. It definitely worked before, and I just wanted a look at the CPU, but its a really weird design where the CPU comes off with the heat sink and isn't clamped to the motherboard. I put it back and plugged everything back in ant tried to turn it on. The power supply has a fan that goes when the switch on it is turned on and supplies power, because the optical drive works. There was no display, but the CPU heat sink got really hot and I realized I hadn't plugged the fan in. The fan is really small and the case has virtually no airflow, so I cant see that this would fry the processor, but after turning the power supply on and off a few times, the on button doesn't do anything and it doesn't display on screen, but does make computery kind of noises when I turn on the power supply. The computer has a Intel celeron 1.8 GHz, I have no idea what socket but its really old and the computer is an e machines something. The hard drive also vibrates when I turn the power supply on, without pressing the on button which tells me that something is working.

Is there any way I can fix it?

Thanks in advance

i dont want a username

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
No It looks more like the socket in picture 1 but way smaller. The bit I was confused by was that it had a lever thingy, but no bracket that locks down, like the 1155 socket. Was I meant to clip the lever over it or something?

i dont want a username

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I think that was it, I had the lever down before installation because the processor was fused to the heat sink and I don't have any thermal paste. The heat sink had to be held down really tight, so could I have crushed the processor?

Possibly bent some pins, worse yet, some may have broken off. The lever is the clamp and works by sliding the base slightly to either release pressure (up) or create pressure (down) on the pins to hold the CPU in place. You might try taking the CPU out (releasing the lever first) and checking that no pins are bent/missing.

i dont want a username

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
No, all the pins are fine, and I took the heat sink off and now I just need to clean it and get some thermal paste. If all the pins are fine, then will that not fix it, I really have no other ideas about what the problem could be.

i dont want a username

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Here is the motherboard with the processor but no heatsink.

Here is the socket of the motherboard.
TgHsT.jpg

and here is the processor.
NfQrd.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality images, also some are upside down.

I'm going to venture here (once you get your thermal paste replaced) that you attempt to start with the ram in the slot closest to the processor.
Also, is the system the type where the heatsink is passive (no fan attached) but the fan is connected to the back or door?

i dont want a username

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
No the fan is connected to the fan header on the motherboard but I thought that maybe if the processor wasn't in properly or something it might not have registered that the fan should be going. I don't have a clue really. What would changing the slot of the ram do?