Question What could cause dead pixels? Could be user's fault? Need help

GVM2014

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
Hi, need some help with an issue. A months ago, one of my laptops, an Asus ROG (which is roughly 8 months old), developed a dead pixel and a stuck one. I was irritated in principle, but it was not such a big deal and I paid it no mind, attributing it to bad luck. But today an older laptop I have, a HP G3 430 (which is 5 years old), also developed a dead pixels. Now, two different laptops getting some dead pixels each within the space of one month does raise some questions. The Asus ROG I thought maybe I bumped it somehow, because I travelled with it some days before. But the HP G3 has been sitting on my desk for the last several weeks and has not been moved around at all. I can't think of anything in particular which might have caused this. True, the HP G3 has stayed powered on for a lot of time during the last 6 weeks, almost from dawn till dusk, doing some tasks I ran on it, but that is no different than during other periods in the past when also was "on" for days. And I thought a laptop, or any display, in general, could and should be always to stay powered on for days with no issues, right?
I am at a loss whether I do something to cause dead pixels to my displays. Could anyone have any idea what is happening, 'cause I don't want all my displays to get dead pixels in the immediate future?

PS: Not sure how relevant it is, but both the Asus ROG and the HP G3 had been in the same location when they developed those dead pixels (on my desk office). I'm baffled what could have happened, because I don't quite believe in coincidences, but I can't figure for the life of me what could have caused a dead pixel in this situation.

GVM2014

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
Dead pixels can be permanent or temporary, sometimes a dead pixel disappears itself after a while.

Just keep using your laptop for a couple of days to see what happens next.

That is unlikely, but it's not the dead pixels per se which bother me, but what could have been the cause. As I said, when two different displays develop dead pixels within a short interval of time, this raises the question whether there was some external factor causing this.

Could it have been a faulty power supply issue? I know that, theoretically, it should be impossible, but being connected to the same power outlet was the only thing the two laptops had in common.

GVM2014

Prominent
Mar 29, 2022
i think that too much heat could possibly cause a pixel to malfunction or die, not sure but could be

Could you elaborate? Two much heat from an external source or from continuous use? Because the temperature in my office is the normal one, 21 degrees Celsius, and my desk is not close to any source of heat.

But, speaking of this statement - "Dead pixels can be permanent or temporary, sometimes a dead pixel disappears itself after a while. " - has anyone ever seen this happening? Because, frankly speaking, it starts to look like an urban myth to me. I've seen plenty of people online complaining about dead or stuck pixels, but I have not seen ANYONE coming out and saying about the advices handed out so lavishly, "this has solved my pixel problems". I've seen plenty of suggestions on the internet, "rub the screen", "use jscreenfix", but their rate of success seems to be nil or close enough to zero that it won't matter.

It's hard to say why there is a dead/stuck pixel, it could be the nature of the manufacturing process (impurity of raw material?), you can't prevent a couple of defective pixels on a screen with millions of pixels. That's why most of manufacturers only offer replacement if there are more than 3 dead pixels and only within a period of 6 months from the date of purchase. They know that the problem exists and can't be avoided with the current technology.