[SOLVED] What could cause this?

Feb 22, 2019
So I wanted to play "getting over it", I had it on steam, and I was thinking of installing it. I had about 11GB space left and the game took about 2GB (at least that's what steam said". Anyways, I installed, started playing, all of a sudden, huge lag spikes came. I checked my CPU and it was at 100%. I turned off the game, and my CPU went down and high again, and it kept going like that. I got a bit scared, I checked my SSD, and it said I had 200mb left, then I looked again and I had 100mb left, and it stayed there. I got really confused. I deleted the game, but it was still at 100mb. I restarted my computer and I hade 14GB and everything seems fine now (well not really, cuz I have OCD, I'm worried)

My question is, what could cause this? Could this happen again and can I fix it?

If needed:
My specs: I5 7400, 1050 ti, 8GB ram, SSD 222Gb.

Recommended "Getting over it" requirements:
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: 2.5 GHz Dual Core CPU
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Geforce GTX 970/Radeon RX470 or better
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 2 GB available space

Feb 22, 2019
Thanks for the answers guys! My one last question is, is there anything I can fix, I mean could it have affected my computer somehow? And if yes, can windows reboot fix this since I was planning to do this anyways...

Feb 22, 2019
Update all your GPU and motherboard drivers. Update your motherboard BIOS if you are still having problems.
I don't think I have any problems right now, or at least I haven't noticed yet... But I'm just asking if I'll do notice that I have problems will the windows reboot help? Because, I was planning to do one later anyway.

Also, how would those problems look?

I don't think I have any problems right now, or at least I haven't noticed yet... But I'm just asking if I'll do notice that I have problems will the windows reboot help? Because, I was planning to do one later anyway.

Also, how would those problems look?
I am not clear what you are asking. By "windows reboot" do you mean restarting your computer or reinstalling Windows? When i said update the BIOS if you are still having problems, i mean if your computer is not working properly, a BIOS update might fix it.

Feb 22, 2019
I am not clear what you are asking. By "windows reboot" do you mean restarting your computer or reinstalling Windows? When i said update the BIOS if you are still having problems, i mean if your computer is not working properly, a BIOS update might fix it.
lol, of course I mean reinstalling Windows. Would that fix it (if there's anything to fix)

Also, what kind of problems should i look for? I mean everything seems normal for now.

Feb 22, 2019
I do not think you need to reinstall Windows. Your problem all along was likely not enough free space on your SSD.
Yes, but as I said, when I had the game installed, I went from 11GBt to 100mb, I uninstalled it, and I still had 100mb. I only got the free space back by restarting my computer. So I'm still kinda worried, like, why didn't it fix right after I uninstalled the game. That's why I think I still have problems, even though everything seems fine now.

Windows will tend to expand and contract based on how much free space is available on the C partition. Try downloading a small program called SpaceMonger to get a graphical display of what's taking up the most space on your SSD. Turn off Hibernation if you currently have it on.

spacemonger-1st-scanning-results.jpg

Feb 22, 2019
Windows will tend to expand and contract based on how much free space is available on the C partition. Try downloading a small program called SpaceMonger to get a graphical display of what's taking up the most space on your SSD. Turn off Hibernation if you currently have it on.

spacemonger-1st-scanning-results.jpg
Seriously... READ WHAT I SAID. I was planning to do a windows reboot/restart/reinstall anyway. Why is it so hard to answer me if the windows restart will fix this or not... WHY?! I was planning to do a windows restart even before I had this accident... Why is it so hard to answer a simple question... I don't need any programs like "Spacemonger" I know what takes up the space in my pc. Please read the question before you are planning to answer it. I'm sorry, but it's when I ask for one thing, and you answer me a completely different question that I don't even need an answer for.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes, but as I said, when I had the game installed, I went from 11GBt to 100mb, I uninstalled it, and I still had 100mb. I only got the free space back by restarting my computer. So I'm still kinda worried, like, why didn't it fix right after I uninstalled the game. That's why I think I still have problems, even though everything seems fine now.

this is sort of how windows deals with deleted files, they can often hang around until a restart. With windows 10, the PC isn't actually off when you shut it down, its only in a restart that it actually turns off. This process can make files you previously deleted disappear.

It is normal

Reactions: JustaFellowWanderer