Question What could have caused a brand new GPU's and M.2 SSD's death?

SirLipe

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
I have a brand new PC and on the second day while i was playing CoD MW the PC froze and I couldn't do anything but restart it. This happened twice in a row and after the second time the monitor recieved no signal and the M.2 drive was no longer detected by the motherboard. GPU dead although it still got warm and the fans still spun. What could be the cause?

GPU:
AMD RX 5700 PowerColor Red Dragon

MOBO: MSi B450 Tomahawk Max

CPU: Ryzen R5 3600

RAM: 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V black DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit

PSU: BeQuiet 600W Pure power 11 CM Semi-modular 80+ Gold

Storage: Intel 660p 1TB M.2 NVMe

Since then I have recieved a new GPU but the M.2 is still not detected. Should I get a 2.5'' SSD instead?
I just don't want the same thing to happen again. I would like to prevent it if I can.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Could be the motherboard if not the psu. @Darkbreeze in your other thread inclined to believe your motherboard 'may' be the culprit. Don't settle for short fixes. A 2.5" ssd might be fine but if there is something wrong with the motherboard, who knows what other surprises it's got in-store for you.

Id replace mobo or perhaps visit a pc repair shop for diagnosing.

Reactions: bencos2018

SirLipe

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
Could be the motherboard if not the psu. @Darkbreeze in your other thread inclined to believe your motherboard 'may' be the culprit. Don't settle for short fixes. A 2.5" ssd might be fine but if there is something wrong with the motherboard, who knows what other surprises it's got in-store for you.

Id replace mobo or perhaps visit a pc repair shop for diagnosing.
Well I now know that the GPU was faulty and I figured out why then mouse and keyboard weren't working (missing 3.0 drivers on win 7). So that's two problems solved and now the M.2 problem remains. The last thing I want is getting a replacement and then same thing happening again. GPU and SSD dying.

Reactions: bencos2018

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
I have a brand new PC and on the second day while i was playing CoD MW the PC froze and I couldn't do anything but restart it. This happened twice in a row and after the second time the monitor recieved no signal and the M.2 drive was no longer detected by the motherboard. GPU dead although it still got warm and the fans still spun. What could be the cause?

GPU:
AMD RX 5700 PowerColor Red Dragon

MOBO: MSi B450 Tomahawk Max

CPU: Ryzen R5 3600

RAM: 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V black DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit

PSU: BeQuiet 600W Pure power 11 CM Semi-modular 80+ Gold

Storage: Intel 660p 1TB M.2 NVMe

Since then I have recieved a new GPU but the M.2 is still not detected. Should I get a 2.5'' SSD instead?
I just don't want the same thing to happen again. I would like to prevent it if I can.
Single most important component on any PC is the Power Supply - and you have a terrible one. Seasonic only, and you will never have issues.