What CPU do I need for gaming?

Tommy_68

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017
Hello.
I am planning to get a new laptop next week.
The one I have in mind has a GTX 1050 graphics card and i7 7700HQ processor.
I just want one to game on 1080p, medium settings. So GTX 1050 will be enough for me, I guess.
But a guy told me that the GPU/CPU combo is too lopsided. The CPU is too powerful and I wont need it.
And its true I guess.
What CPU do I need for gaming and occasional 3D renders on softwares like Maya and Blender?
Thank you!

Solution

Laptop parts are not as powerfull as desktop ones, you know for heat and power limits, now saying the i7 is too powerfull is not quite right, for games you probably wont use that many threads and cores (usually) but the clock speed is not that high to call it overkill (honestly...

Lutfij

Titan
At 1080p, yes you'll be fine on a notebook gaming scene. You're going to benefit with more ram and the CPU if you're going to render on Blender and Maya. Will you be working on Skecthup and AutoCAD as well? If so the i7 will punch through.

Rakanyshu

Distinguished

Laptop parts are not as powerfull as desktop ones, you know for heat and power limits, now saying the i7 is too powerfull is not quite right, for games you probably wont use that many threads and cores (usually) but the clock speed is not that high to call it overkill (honestly theres nothing too powerfull maybe just expensive), now the GPU is not as strong as you would like for running games at 1080p in high or ultra settings. for 3D rendering, maya and blender it is good and you´ll benefit more whith 16Gb + RAM.

Solution