[SOLVED] What CPU do you recommend for this build?

Snickeldümper

Prominent
Jun 5, 2019
Hello!
So I am planning to upgrade my computer. I am planning on upgrading my graphics card to an rx 5700 xt 8gb from a geforce 1060 3gb. However, as it stands my CPU does not seem to be powerful enough to run the rx 5700 xt, so I have to upgrade that too (as well as my PSU). My question is what CPU you would recommend that is powerful enough to handle this graphics card. I will add that this computer is primarily used for gaming. Below are my current specs as well as what I'm planning on upgrading to.

Current
CPU- i5 6600k
GPU- Geforce GTX 1060 3gb
RAM- 16gb ram
BOARD- asus Z170-A
PSU - evga 100-w1-0500 500w

Potential upgrade
CPU - ???
GPU - MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT HDMI 3xDP 8GB
PSU - Corsair TX650M V3 650W

I have not planned on upgrading the motherboard or the ram. Thank you!

Solution
If your in no rush then wait, pricing right now is significantly higher then it should be. When it does come down then just grab whatever is the best price to performance purchase. Hopefully pricing will come down before Cyberpunk 2077 as it requires a better CPU (i7-6700 or better per systemrequirementslab).

WildCard999

Titan
The 6600K, with proper cooling and overclocking still has good performance per core and while 4 cores is a bit limiting nowadays it really comes down to the game(s) you play. If you prefer Intel I'd get the new PSU/GPU and wait (a month I think) to upgrade to the LGA1200/10th gen which has hyperthreaded i5's. If you want to upgrade now AMD Ryzen has some solid choices but it depends on your budget.

Snickeldümper

Prominent
Jun 5, 2019
The 6600K, with proper cooling and overclocking still has good performance per core and while 4 cores is a bit limiting nowadays it really comes down to the game(s) you play. If you prefer Intel I'd get the new PSU/GPU and wait (a month I think) to upgrade to the LGA1200/10th gen which has hyperthreaded i5's. If you want to upgrade now AMD Ryzen has some solid choices but it depends on your budget.
Thank you for your quick reply. I have no preference when it comes to Intel or AMD, neither am I in any rush to upgrade. The game that I am primarily planning on playing is Cyberpunk 2077, when it releases in September. As for my budget, it is very flexible but I'm hoping to stick to around 350-450$.

WildCard999

Titan
If your in no rush then wait, pricing right now is significantly higher then it should be. When it does come down then just grab whatever is the best price to performance purchase. Hopefully pricing will come down before Cyberpunk 2077 as it requires a better CPU (i7-6700 or better per systemrequirementslab).

Solution

Snickeldümper

Prominent
Jun 5, 2019
Will do! Thank you.