[SOLVED] What CPU for 1070 ti?

Lemiski

Reputable
May 7, 2014
Thinking about getting a 1070 ti (https://m.newegg.ca/products/N82E16814126231) for a new build but not sure what CPU to get. I have been looking at the ryzen 5 2600 but I'm not sure if that will be enough. I currently play on 1080p @60hz but will probably upgrade a monitor next. Will the ryzen 5 be enough at say 1440?

Solution
I did not say it was "30% stronger than the 2700x". I said it's "core performance" was, and it is. Maybe more like 25%.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X-vs-Intel-i7-8700K/3238vs3098

Overall performance, IF, IF, you are using something that can utilize all of the cores/threads on the Ryzen 2700x, is marginally higher than the 8700k, but even games with pretty fair multithreaded capabilities are not likely to use more threads than the 8700k has, so the single core performance of the threads which ARE utilized, is going to see a clear gain from the stronger core performance and honestly that's only going to matter if we are talking about the need for much higher FPS because if we're talking about only 60fps gaming...
The higher the resolution, the lower your frame rates are likely to be depending on your settings. If you plan to game at 1440p, then the refresh rate of your monitor is going to pretty much be the determining factor in what CPU you want to go with. If you need high frame rates at 1440p, say 144hz, I'd pretty much recommend getting the best CPU you can afford, rather than questioning if a specific model will be enough or not.

Honestly, for a 144fps 1440p configuration, I probably would want to see either a Ryzen 7 2700x or i5-8600 (k), or higher. You might be able to get by with a lesser CPU, but I assure you that on some games, and in some parts of those games, you are going to wish you had went with a higher performance CPU if you opt for a middle of the road model.

Possibly of higher importance would be what power supply you have?

Your current CPU has better single core performance than any Ryzen CPU. I'd just buy a 4790k, which would give you better gaming performance on most titles than a 2700x except on titles that can use more than 8 threads, and I don't think I've yet seen a game that did. If you are planning to record, stream and do a bunch of other multitasking WHILE you game, you MIGHT see an advantage with the 2700x. Otherwise, you could probably save some money and GAIN some performance, by simply finding yourself a good used 4790k and calling it a day.

If you're going to spend 300+ bucks on a 2700x, you might as well just spend another 60 bucks and get an 8700k which will give you about 30% stronger core performance. But honestly any of them, 4790k, 2700x, 8700k, should be a good fit with that 1070ti.

Knowing what the refresh rate/FPS target is would help as well.

WildCard999

Titan

I'd just overclock your 4690K to around 4.2ghz+ and get the 1070 ti. Try some games and see how the performance is. It seems kind of pointless to plan for another CPU if you don't even have the card yet and the performance per core on the 4690K is quite good, even nowadays.

Darkbreeze, I am not sure where you pull your figures out but they are severely wrong.
An 8700k is NOT 30% stronger than a 2700x that's just not true, unless you are cherry picking a specific benchmark which I would love to see.

Wildcards solution is the best and easiest to do, as long as you have a decent cooler.
How much performance gain will you get from a 1070ti using your current CPU and the latest and greatest? Probably 20% max @1080 (more likely less) - but the higher the res the less the difference.

I did not say it was "30% stronger than the 2700x". I said it's "core performance" was, and it is. Maybe more like 25%.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X-vs-Intel-i7-8700K/3238vs3098

Overall performance, IF, IF, you are using something that can utilize all of the cores/threads on the Ryzen 2700x, is marginally higher than the 8700k, but even games with pretty fair multithreaded capabilities are not likely to use more threads than the 8700k has, so the single core performance of the threads which ARE utilized, is going to see a clear gain from the stronger core performance and honestly that's only going to matter if we are talking about the need for much higher FPS because if we're talking about only 60fps gaming at 1440p, practically any of these or even a Ryzen 5 will probably work.

Even a 6 generation old Ivy bridge 3770k has slightly better single core performance than any consumer Ryzen processor. IPC hasn't improved much over the last five or six Intel generations, but even so, it's still significantly better than a current Ryzen. That's just fact. As I said though, if you are doing much in the way of multithreading with many simultaneous processes running like recording or streaming software, then you may see some advantage to running an 8/16 Ryzen SKU over a 6/12 Intel. But that is only likely to be true if the game engine you are running while doing that multitasking is definitely capable of utilizing those available cores.

If it's not, and it's a title that sees the most benefit from a FEW strong cores, then even then you're probably better off with practically any Intel CPU that has more than 6 cores or has hyperthreading.

Overclocking the 4690k is not a bad idea at all, however, again, if you are playing games that will utilize more than four cores or threads, or doing anything more than just gaming, only, you're going to be limited with that CPU whereas with the 4790k you gain four threads over the 4690k, plus about 500mhz max boost clock speed, comparing stock to stock.

I'm not even sure why I'm explaining myself to you, other than it might help the OP to see a clearer picture.

Solution

jitendrad

Notable
Dec 28, 2018
You have 4th gen i5 process which is pretty good to pair with 1070 for gaming. I always prefer Intel CPU's when it come to single core performance. So if you want to play only games on your PC then i5 is quite good you don't need to upgrade it.

Reactions: kikac_laflame
Everything you just said, gets totally contradicted by the Paragraph which I have made BOLD.
You are just twisting things to suit a weird agenda for Intel for some unknown reason. I do run an Intel chip i7-4790k but everything you said is in extreme rare cases, unless he's running 5 year old software. Also, now they have found kernel problems with Windows and Multi-threads, this may change in the very near future. Plus, any game worth its salt, is and will be made Multi-threaded because this is the only way forward in computers.

I don't agree with your assessment in this matter, that is all. Guru shows less than 10% in IPC cinebench Single Thread and then in Multi-thread the 8700k is beaten by 30%. Aftwards the 2700x beats the 8700k in almost every benchmark following.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_2700x_review,9.html
After doing a 3500Mhz test on both 2700x and 8600k - the 8600k scores 5 points more. Which is next to nothing, so IPC isn't as strong as people think clock for clock.

I guess it's a good thing that everybody is allowed to have their own opinion here. Since that's the case, you are welcome to post yours. It doesn't make it accurate, but you're welcome to it.

Plus, I don't think you actually understand what I've outlined and are taking what I say entirely out of context. Half of what you've posted doesn't even apply and the other half is just senseless. There are more than sufficient reviews and comparisons showing Intel almost universally has stronger single core performance even on very old generations. Obviously that translates to higher performance when the number of cores are the same or even close to the same, even with less.

In fact, there are practically zero games where the 2700x beats the 8700k, all other things being equal. In further fact, I find only three instances where that happens. One is in Dirt, one is in Fortnite but only at 1440p, and another is Sniper elite 4 but only at 1440p. In ALL other games, 35 titles to be exact, the 8700k either ties up with the 2700x (And those are going to be games which DO make very efficient use of multiple cores and threads) or wallops the holy crap out of the 2700x, so your claims that the 2700x beats the 8700k in almost every game are pure BS.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1655-core-i7-8700k-vs-ryzen-7-2700x/

All of that being said, Intel is still king of gaming. This from an AMD guy. That said, wait a week. They should be announcing zen 2 in a couple of days, and that is a potential game changer. If they get a boost in ipc, and towards 5ghz like they are saying, then things get really interesting.

Nothing I have said, or would ever say, would even try to slant things Pro-Intel just for the sake of being Pro-Intel. I have four AMD systems in my own home and if budget is the dictating factor OR if you DO plan to do anything multithreaded like streaming or recording WHILE you game, then the metrics change and AMD becomes a more favorable option in some cases.

For me, it's never AMD vs Intel, it's always what is your biggest priority vs what can you afford.