[SOLVED] What CPU for 'PS4 Pro' level performance?

gizmo j

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013
I'm not talking about "spec" equivalent but performance equivalent for both AMD and Intel.

I know that the PS4 Pro GPU is about a gtx 1060.

iamacow

Admirable
Since its a custom APU chip (under Jaguar (microarchitecture) ) with way more 3D cores on the GPU side than anything from that time period.

Its going to be closest to a a Ryzen 3 2300U of today. The Zen and VEGA graphics is much more powerful, so even though on paper the old Jaguar APU is looking like a boss, its actually not that fast in todays standards.

Edit: Don't expect 4K gaming out of it. Consoles are setup to do one thing only, Graphics. That is why you can optimize the programs to run at 4K. PCs have a whole lot more going on.

iamacow

Admirable

Yes but the PS4 Pro uses a Polaris Config 2304:144:32 which is "far" weaker than the VEGA APU.

The PS4 literately has a neutered RX 480 "2304:144:32". Same core config, different speeds. And the VEGA APU outperforms the RX 480 in many games.

Edit: Get yourself a I3 and a RX 480 and you have a PS4 Pro, abit slower because its not optimized like a console.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
@iamacow what vega APU are you talking about? I am aware that the PS4 pro GPU is a slower rx 480, but there are no integrated graphics (at least among regular consumer PC hardware) that perform on par with an Rx 480. Except maybe Intel kaby lake G, but those aren't relevant to this discussion.

Phazoner

Distinguished
Please, stop talking about things you just don't know.

GTX 1060 = RX 480/580 = Xbox One X.

There isn't a current AMD GPU which matches PS4 Pro power as it is 4.2 TFLOPs and the 570 is over 5 TFLOPs and the 560 is 2.6 TFLOPs. Neither are current Nvidia GPUs. I think the closest is the 2015 AMD 380X which at stock speeds is 4 TFLOPs.

The PS4 and Xbox One double Jaguar CPU is tremendously weak and is solved in the consoles with very low CPU calculated physics, shadows, animations, etc, under the lowest settings available in some top graphics games in PC, just like the latest multiplatform games that PS3 and Xbox 360 got. Even the Intel i3-2100 from 2011 has more raw power than PS4's CPU, as Jaguar was conceived as a low powered CPU for tablets.

If you want to know which PC CPU matches its power that's pretty much the answer, but as I said that CPU survives with very low and specific settings, and with most of the games capped at 30FPS or dancing between 30FPS and 60FPS like latest Battlefields. If you want to know which CPU do you need to build a PC which can run at least like the PS4, you can go for very low budget processors like the AMD FX which you can find used at ridiculous prices, but usually you will want to play in better conditions, specially if you are going to play first person shooters (playing FPSs at 30FPS with a mouse is a pain), so if you want a cheap but fairly good CPU just go with a cheap quad-core Intel Core or Ryzen.

iamacow

Admirable

I feel like you don't know how to research information very well :) Also TFLOPS isn't everything and if you actaully look up the Jaugaur APU you will find it to be a RX 480 squished with no direct compassion for the CPU besides maybe a Opteron X115 in Chiplets.

The PS4 Pro Graphics
Pixel: 58.3 GP/s
Texure 131.2 GT/s
Bandwidth 217.6 GB/s

Techinally a Ryzen 5 2400GE is only 4 Cores (8 Threads) but it is newer, double the clock speed and the VEGA chip is also half. But once again newer (by 2 generations) and higher clock speeds. It ends up outperforming the PS4.

Once again there is no easy way to do a direct comparison to custom hardware. Even if you happen to have the exact hardware, you will find unless the game is optimized for the console / data paths, it will not preform the same. This is why a VEGA can't handle 4K gaming very well, yet a 5 year old video card can do 4K30 (with some upscalling and super sampling). All consoles are identical so making games is way easier and can be optimized.

Phazoner

Distinguished

I don't know how to research very well? xD. The TFLOPs even being a relative measurement is the main way to check the power of a GPU. Then you are giving me a example of a 4 core CPU being better than the 8 core Jaguar, so again wtf? I just wrote that even the 2012 dual core i3-2100 beats the 8 core Jaguar, have you even entirely read my first message?

Additionally, no, PS4 Pro can'T handle 4K gaming. Checkerboarding consists in picking a big resolution and rendering alternate pixels from the full scale frames, and then filling the gaps by mixing the colours of the 4 adjacent rendered pixels. Not really much games are supporting the advantages of PS4 Pro or even do that but without a good result like the terrible blurry image resulting in RDR2. Checkerboarding is a great technique and games use to apply it between 1800p and 4k target renders, but it's definitely not 4K, they're always aiming for 30FPS and there's still plenty of games that use other worse techniques (Insomniac games, Uncharted games are just 1440p upscaled...). And "optimization" means cutting down the settings in multiplatform games.

Phazoner

Distinguished
Check again my previous messages, the first GPU which came to my head was the 380x which is much closer than the 470 you are suggesting (and PS4 pro GPU was already performing under PC GPUs which identical capabilities and PS4 Pro is getting even worse relative results).

Please read carefully before asking over and over for the same things. And anyway this isn't the point of the thread, you are deviating it from its purpose.