[SOLVED] What CPU to pair with my GTX 1650 SUPER for gaming ?

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Hi, right now my GTX 1650 SUPER is paired with an i5 2400 but now i have budget to upgrade the CPU ,RAM to DDR4 and of course the mobo

As of today i can afford the i3 10100 / i3 9100f both and buy it as we speak but next month the 10th of January i would be able to buy a i5 9400f
I understand there is difference in Core Count and Threads between them but what would suit my GTX 1650 SUPER the best for gaming ?

Or is there another better option on a ryzen CPU that would give better performance with the yes aforementioned a thousand times the GTX 1650 SUPER

Guide me kindly for i long better performance than what i have as a cpu and we shall bask in the glory of a good deed and better gaming for humanity :D

Last edited:
Solution
Hi, right now my GTX 1650 SUPER is paired with an i5 2400 but now i have budget to upgrade the CPU ,RAM to DDR4 and of course the mobo

As of today i can afford the i3 10100 / i3 9100f both and buy it as we speak but next month the 10th of January i would be able to buy a i5 9400f
I understand there is difference in Core Count and Threads between them but what would suit my GTX 1650 SUPER the best for gaming ?

Or is there another better option on a ryzen CPU that would give better performance with the yes aforementioned a thousand times the GTX 1650 SUPER

Guide me kindly for i long better performance than what i have as a cpu and we shall bask in the glory of a good deed and better gaming for humanity :D
Depending on how...

Wait until January and buy the i5-9400F

Depending on how prices are in January you may want to consider the i5-10400 6-core / 12-thread instead of the i5-9400f 6-core / 6-thread. The price is very close (aside from sale prices).
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-9400F-vs-Intel-i5-10400/3397vs3737

Solution

Upgrading would be great for you, but as it is a 1650 and not a 2070super/5700xt or better you might be better suited with a far cheaper upgrade.

This is a simple drop in upgrade that will allow you to keep up with that gpu, for 44 bucks. Xeons at this time require you to do nothing but install. The extra threads make a big difference. An regardless of motherboard you will find this cpu is supported.
Intel killed this "ability" after ivy bridge.

Then save up more money for a proper upgrade later on. You will get by until ddr5 is a regular thing and the kinks of the new platforms are worked out. Likely have a fair amount of money saved and prices may have become normal by then ;)

Reactions: Cactus 52
Hi ,thanks for that awesome advice ,as of course the i5 2400 cant keep up with a gtx 1650 super and the xeon has multi threading but it needs a lga 1366 motherboard i suppose since i have a mobo that supports only LGA 1155 mobo with support to 2nd and 3rd gen intel

And i can get my hands on the xeon albeit not from alieexpress as they do not deliver here but the issue remains there is no lga 1366 motherboard available here unless one which i can buy for 408 USD :D (talk about overkill)

So my thinking was what if i get a i3 10100f which is basically 4 core 8 threads and at a decent price ,how would that performance be compared to me gaming on a lets say i5 9400f keeping my GPU in mind

Since games like assasins creed valhalla and watch dogs legion are somewhat cpu heavy ,would they fair well as i am holding back on playing them due to my current cpu

in all honesty im quite confused since buying a GPU is way too easy than a cpu (scratching my head as we speak)

And speaking of long term ,i can save about 136 USD each month for a upgrade down the line in the future considering pandemic circumstances as i am taking care of 21 stray dogs that were abandoned due to the circumstances

So i apologizes for such a lengthy essay and seek your guidance

No the xeon does not require an 1366 motherboard.

Sandy bridge e3 xeons drop right into your current motherboard no problem.
I've seriously done this myself. Many others have as well.

Intel stopped this at haswell 4xxx series cpu's

Have a look

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Upgrading would be great for you, but as it is a 1650 and not a 2070super/5700xt or better you might be better suited with a far cheaper upgrade.

This is a simple drop in upgrade that will allow you to keep up with that gpu, for 44 bucks. Xeons at this time require you to do nothing but install. The extra threads make a big difference. An regardless of motherboard you will find this cpu is supported.
Intel killed this "ability" after ivy bridge.

Then save up more money for a proper upgrade later on. You will get by until ddr5 is a regular thing and the kinks of the new platforms are worked out. Likely have a fair amount of money saved and prices may have become normal by then ;)
Hi ,thanks for that awesome advice ,as of course the i5 2400 cant keep up with a gtx 1650 super and the xeon has multi threading but it needs a lga 1366 motherboard i suppose since i have a mobo that supports only LGA 1155 mobo with support to 2nd and 3rd gen intel

And i can get my hands on the xeon albeit not from alieexpress as they do not deliver here but the issue remains there is no lga 1366 motherboard available here unless one which i can buy for 408 USD :D (talk about overkill)

So my thinking was what if i get a i3 10100f which is basically 4 core 8 threads and at a decent price ,how would that performance be compared to me gaming on a lets say i5 9400f keeping my GPU in mind

Since games like assasins creed valhalla and watch dogs legion are somewhat cpu heavy ,would they fair well as i am holding back on playing them due to my current cpu

in all honesty im quite confused since buying a GPU is way too easy than a cpu (scratching my head as we speak)

And speaking of long term ,i can save about 136 USD each month for a upgrade down the line in the future considering pandemic circumstances as i am taking care of 21 stray dogs that were abandoned due to the circumstances

No the xeon does not require an 1366 motherboard.

Sandy bridge e3 xeons drop right into your current motherboard no problem.
I've seriously done this myself. No problem.

Intel stopped this at haswell 4xxx series cpu's
my apologies again ,i misspoke
the xeon that is available here for the exact same price is a xeon E5620 and E5530

my apologies again ,i misspoke
the xeon that is available here for the exact same price is a xeon E5620 and E5530
those are crap 44 bucks from ali express anywhere in the world!

Good luck!