What cpus to choose

Rafalex

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
With the release of the new intel coffee cpus, I just want to ask what would be better: getting the ryzen 1600x,the i5-8400 or the intel i5 7600k. The build is mainly for gaming.

Solution
for 60Hz gaming, I think Ryzen 1600 is still the most viable. boards are cheap, stock cooler is good, it's overclockable -- overall a good choice

the 1600X is kinda void with the 8400. the 8400 shows great performance but is a bit more expensive in combination with a board (and a decent cooler, not necessary, but Intel stock coolers are...meh)

the 8600k is a great CPU if you're looking to OC and I think can drive a 144fps screen just right

That depends. Are you thinking to overclock? If so you probably want the i5-8600k. If you are not planning to OC, then the i5-8400 is a heck of a buy. One thing to consider though is the price of the motherboard. If you are not going to OC much, you might want to consider a Ryzen instead.
For the i5-8400 there is only one motherboard I know of that is under 125. It is this one for 110.
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Motherboard-Motherboards-Z370-PRO/dp/B075GN9YC4/
For Ryzen you can get motherboards for close to half that.
https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-AB350M-PRO4-MicroATX-Motherboard/dp/B06X9LN3QK/

for 60Hz gaming, I think Ryzen 1600 is still the most viable. boards are cheap, stock cooler is good, it's overclockable -- overall a good choice

the 1600X is kinda void with the 8400. the 8400 shows great performance but is a bit more expensive in combination with a board (and a decent cooler, not necessary, but Intel stock coolers are...meh)

the 8600k is a great CPU if you're looking to OC and I think can drive a 144fps screen just right

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
On paper, the 8400 would probably be the best bang for buck option. In reality, with poor availability of coffee lake CPUs driving up prices combined with motherboards being restricted to more expensive Z370 models until next year, a Ryzen 1600 + B350 starts looking pretty attractive. If you're gaming at 60 fps then you'd probably never notice a difference between any of them.