[SOLVED] What current GPU will work with Asus Sabertooth X99

dumbolduser

Prominent
Sep 8, 2019
Lately while playing all AAA games my windows 10 computer randomly crashes to black screen at varying intervals. I am not a hardware expert and I was wondering what the problem is. I used to play all these games before with no problem.
My setup:
Asus Sabertooth X99 motherboard
I7 - 5930K CPU @ 3.5 GHz processor
EVGA GTX 980 FTW GPU
G-Skill 4GB x4 ram

I am ignorant about hardware and could use help.
Thank you,
Glenn

Solution
Definitely not a PSU issue. I have an Evga 850 supply (in my other rig) and never ever had an issue. I would do a fresh install of windows if you're able to. As for a GPU look at the RTX2070super. It's $500 and kills everything out there.

You do have 16gb ram correct?
ANY high-end GPU is going to work on that Motherboard, assuming you have other compatible parts like PSU. But is this for 1080p, 2K or 4K gaming ? What's the Refresh rate of your Monitor ?

Provide the exact make and Model number of your power supply unit...What's your Budget for the GPU upgrade ?

dumbolduser

Prominent
Sep 8, 2019
ANY high-end GPU is going to work on that Motherboard, assuming you have other compatible parts like PSU. But is this for 1080p, 2K or 4K gaming ? What's the Refresh rate of your Monitor ?

Provide the exact make and Model number of your power supply unit...What's your Budget for the GPU upgrade ?
I am hooked up to a Samsung TV 1080P hdmi from the GTX 980 to DVI on TV input. I am sorry for my ignorance.
I can do up to 700.00 for GPU

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If you haven't changed anything lately...
My guess is that the psu is now having trouble keeping up with the load on the gpu.
The black screen is happening when the psu fails to deliver the needed current to the gpu.
If this is the case, getting a new gpu wouldn't fix anything.

dumbolduser

Prominent
Sep 8, 2019
If you haven't changed anything lately...
My guess is that the psu is now having trouble keeping up with the load on the gpu.
The black screen is happening when the psu fails to deliver the needed current to the gpu.
If this is the case, getting a new gpu wouldn't fix anything.
Thank you for your input. It is appreciated. Any suggestions as to which PSU I should look into?

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
Definitely not a PSU issue. I have an Evga 850 supply (in my other rig) and never ever had an issue. I would do a fresh install of windows if you're able to. As for a GPU look at the RTX2070super. It's $500 and kills everything out there.

You do have 16gb ram correct?

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Solution

dumbolduser

Prominent
Sep 8, 2019
I'd lean more towards drivers, software, or GPU itself for the black screen. What about 3DMark, ect.? Have a test GPU around you could borrow, or buy cheaply?
I am not hardware adept with hardware and unfamiliar with 3DMark software. Someone suggested a fresh install of windows 10. I see your setup is impressive. I am knowledgeable enough to cause great damage to my system so I'm usually hands off regarding hardware. Would 3DMark tell me what is wrong?

Sorry for late reply. Regarding 3DMark, it would specifically stress your GPU and CPU in certain tests. Besides scores for comparison vs. similar systems, it's a decent way to test stability pertaining to graphics cards. I'd look for visual anomalies or see if the black screen crash occurs. We could also run CPU specific stresstests as well if needed. It's best to try on thing at a time.

dumbolduser

Prominent
Sep 8, 2019
Sorry for late reply. Regarding 3DMark, it would specifically stress your GPU and CPU in certain tests. Besides scores for comparison vs. similar systems, it's a decent way to test stability pertaining to graphics cards. I'd look for visual anomalies or see if the black screen crash occurs. We could also run CPU specific stresstests as well if needed. It's best to try on thing at a time.
I will follow through with your suggestions. thank you for your time and input. I will let you know. BTW I always crash to black screen and have to reboot.