[SOLVED] What diagnostic programs should I use?

KCav45

Reputable
May 28, 2016
Plan to setup a bootable USB Flash Drive that boots to a menu with hardware diagnostic programs listed on it..
What diagnostic programs would you recommend for my system?

System Summary

Operating System Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1
CPU Intel Core i5 2520M@250 GHz Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM 8.00GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz
Motherboard Hewlett Packard 161C (CPU 1)
Graphics Generic PnP monitor (1366 x 768@ 60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 3000
Storage Crucial CT500BX100SSD1
Optical Drive hp DVD DS8A5LH
Audio IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Solution
One of my favorite systems like that is called parted magic. You have to pay a little for it, I think it's like 11 bucks, but it's Linux based. Has tools to test ram, hard drive, do disk partitioning, they also have a program where if you have a drive that's failing, you can use it to attempt to recover sector by sector preferably to a larger drive. I think the name of that is ddrescue, but they have a gui for it. That used to be command line based. Also has a quick tool for hard drive testing. I personally like it as a techie since if I go to a system that's not booting, I might be able to start it up with that and maybe do file recovery etc.
One of my favorite systems like that is called parted magic. You have to pay a little for it, I think it's like 11 bucks, but it's Linux based. Has tools to test ram, hard drive, do disk partitioning, they also have a program where if you have a drive that's failing, you can use it to attempt to recover sector by sector preferably to a larger drive. I think the name of that is ddrescue, but they have a gui for it. That used to be command line based. Also has a quick tool for hard drive testing. I personally like it as a techie since if I go to a system that's not booting, I might be able to start it up with that and maybe do file recovery etc.

Solution