What Do High-End Graphics Cards Cost In Terms Of Electricity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it. Are they saying that a GTX 480 will cost a hard core gamer $90/year in electricity? Seems like a drop in the bucket considering my power bills are over $90/month in the winter and over $250/month in the summer. Just think of all the money the hard core gamer saves from not having a girlfriend :D

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
They are also neglecting the positive side effects like not needing a space heater in the winter....you recoup alot of energy right there :D

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
^Tell me about it, warmest room in the house right here. Turn the thermostat down, and boot the rig up.

Typo on the enthusiast graph. calculations are correct, but it should be 13ct/kWh, not 22ct/kWh.

AMW1011

Distinguished
So at worst, my GTX 480 is costing me $90 a year? Sorry if I'm not alarmed...

Also I can't imagine having 8 hours of gaming time every day. 5 hours even seems extreme. Sometimes, you just can't game AT ALL in a day, or a week.

Some people do have lives...

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]alikum[/nom]Nvidia cards consume power like crazy[/citation]
who cares....if you have the money to buy them you can pay for the electricity...it's just like SUVs, you have the money to buy them you can keep them running

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]AMW1011[/nom]So at worst, my GTX 480 is costing me $90 a year? Sorry if I'm not alarmed...Also I can't imagine having 8 hours of gaming time every day. 5 hours even seems extreme. Sometimes, you just can't game AT ALL in a day, or a week.Some people do have lives...[/citation]
i run my 480 sli rig to fold almost 24/7...do i care about my bill...HELL NO

Kodiack

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Your enthusiastic profiles aren't all that enthusiastic. :( I'm sure my Radeon 5970+5870 tri-CrossFire combination will cost me quite a few dollars over the months. Fortunately, I've got some pretty good power-saving features in use to lighten the pain.

ohseus

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I;d be curious to see a toaster, a microwave,a light bulb or ceiling fan (some thing of hat sort) added the power consumption list for comparisons sake.

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
It would be really useful to know what a folding setup running 24/7 costs. Perhaps one day you could use it to get a "Folding for the Future" tax credit on the books. Maybe Toms can lead the lobbying effort in Washington.

Compared to the 4000w, 240v industrial space heater I was using over Christmas, my computer will have to work all year to match the utility cost.

I second "space heater ftw!"

pinkfloydminnesota

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Great article. I hope you can somehow include these costs in reviews as electricity costs go higher and video cards get more powerful.

I am able to lower the heat in my Minnesota corner room tx to the pc on the floor and the screens on the desk!

emergancy exit

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
i think the main power burners are the people who buy high end graphics cards and then use them on old displays. wasting money on power your power bill without getting the benifit of higher resolution. that and cheap power suplies. i ALLWAYS see people use the cheapest power suply that fits their needs paying the extra $15-50 dollars really pays off in the long run. i still believe that your power suply can effect your power bill more then your other equipment.

what i got from this article is that it really pays to have a power profile schedule and making use of puting yoru computer in sleep mode when your not useing it. and useing the windows power profile "balenced" and only use the high performance profile when you are gaming/number cruncher/redering/video editing

adamcom25334

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Switchable Graphics - many laptops have it, but how many desktop MoBos allow for that?? None that I know of, even the ones with on-board video. Hoping that Sandy Bridge X68 will.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
while your calculatiosna re good and all , you compeltely forget to list what area, power company , and lind of power tech they use. in other words the cost you come up with is only good for people using your power company that uses what ever emans of power they can. peopel indifernt areas get charged different rates , for instance people in an area getting hydro eleitric power , (like from a dam) or nuclear fission reactor power , tend to have much lwoer bills that say some one that is using apower company that is burning fossil fuels such as coal plus keep in mind also , the cost of living in teh north east part of teh states is generally much higher than the cost of living down in missisippi or texas. piont being note very one is going to pay what you list to run thier high end graphics , still nice article though it gives us a starting point for estimating the cost in other areas (if we know where you are located that is)

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
p.s. LOL well great article but really can't apply it to me after i read the part about how you avaeraged work days in , i'm in school for game art design and even on days i'm swamped in work , my video card is getting pushed running 3ds max view ports or the even rougher UDK view ports ( i say they are are roughier because 3ds max view ports only show basic geometry and none of the higher end render techs (those get rendered when you hit the render button and they are rendered off the cpu not gpu), while UDK blows the perspective view port up with full in game shaders , lighting and effects in real time.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I like how in the interim conclusion for the "normal user" they say to buy a midrange card to save money on power... cause 20 a year for the 580 is gonna break the bank right? You guys really missed the boat when it came to common sense didnt you? If I buy a 600 dollar video card and play lets say 2 hours a day that's not going to cause my power bill to go up as much as the fact that my apartment complex will not replace my livingroom window which has a 1/4" gap between the two panes.

orodreth

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Power consumption should be part of every review and side-by-side comparison for video cards and is just as important as your temperature evaluations. For a dedicated gaming rig, max it out. But for average use or an HTPC, the cost of power adds up over time. Great article!

Status
Not open for further replies.